Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Rotator Cuff Injury - need help to modify prone position

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rotator Cuff Injury - need help to modify prone position

I got the MRI results via voicemail this last Friday - loose but no torn tendons or ligaments, the AC joint has "severe arthritis" - IOW, the slop catch and pop in the joint is coming from that evidently. Two month rehab time estimated if they cut the tip of the collarbone off.

I was thinking that I would use sticks and start training myself on the finer points of using a competition sling. Anyone with advice on the sling? What are the realistic distances with that setup?

MHDick, to answer your question: deer and pigs are the quarry. I wasn't wanting to shoot bench b/c I wanted to mimic hunting conditions.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM

Re: Rotator Cuff Injury - need help to modify prone position

If I were in your position/condition I would ask about a cortisone shot in the shoulder prior to doing any surgery and some therapy. Since there is nothing torn, a shot to reduce pain & inflammation, then some therapy to increase stability in the shoulder joint might be enough for you for quite a while - months to years.
I am a physical therapist and have seen a few folks who have had the end of the clavicle/collarbone removed and you may have a 2 month rehab (and feel fairly good), but it will still likely hurt for a while after this. Maybe not as much pain as you have now, but you won't "feel good" for at least 4-5 months, give or take.
Not to question your ortho at all! but a shot can certainly reduce inflammation (and pain!). Some targeted strengthening exercises can help stabilize the shoulder joint also.
Best of luck to you and a speedy recovery!
BTW - is this a specific injury, or just general overuse over many years?

I was thinking if you tried prone, but kept your left arm more under your body instead of out to the side it might help - because when you bring your elbow out to the side or out in front of you, the AC joint will move in ways that cause more & more pain now. just a thought. not sure if this would work, though.