Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Rotator Cuff Injury - need help to modify prone position

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Rotator Cuff Injury - need help to modify prone position

Went to the doc today and got the prelim news - it looks like I tore some ligaments and tendons in my left shoulder. MRI is scheduled to find out what's what. I shoot right handed. When I prone out my arm comes out of socket, so until I get this fixed/rehabed I need a new shoulder friendly way to shoot, preferably like I will hunt (bench is out, for now). Surgery if needed will be a ways off due to timing issues.

So it looks like my hunting postion will have to change, hopefully only a little. Any suggestions you have on this would be massively appreciated, especially if you have gone through this before.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rotator Cuff Injury - need help to modify prone position

Sorry to hear the bad news.

possibly practice a little "weak side" shooting. I had shoulder surgery as a teenager, and had to learn to shoot left handed for a while........it felt really weird, but not impossible.

Best o Luck.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

I do most of my big game shooting and coyote hunting (although not the really long range stuff) from a sitting position with a pair of crossed wooden dowels held together with a bolt/nut and a length of snare cable. I've been able to hit coyotes at 300 yds or so this way, and deer out to about 400, but I gotta keep in practice to shoot that far off them. Might be worth a shot if learning to be a lefty isn't in the cards.??

Last edited by SBruce; 12-29-2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlk View Post
Went to the doc today and got the prelim news - it looks like I tore some ligaments and tendons in my left shoulder. MRI is scheduled to find out what's what. I shoot right handed. When I prone out my arm comes out of socket, so until I get this fixed/rehabed I need a new shoulder friendly way to shoot, preferably like I will hunt (bench is out, for now). Surgery if needed will be a ways off due to timing issues.

So it looks like my hunting postion will have to change, hopefully only a little. Any suggestions you have on this would be massively appreciated, especially if you have gone through this before.

Thanks.
A set of shooting sticks is the way to go for now. Make the most of your shooting because after the surgery on your shoulder you will be out of action for some time.
I snapped my left shoulder biceps tendon clean off the shoulder and waited a few months to get it repaired back in 2006.
After the tendon and rotator cuff surgery I could not even lift a tea spoon for a month and it took twelve months before I was 100% again.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Dude, I hear you on the torn tendon. This is the same arm I had my tricep tear from the elbow. That took 2 full years to heal and I am only now able to perform at a level that is near what it used to be. Well, that is until this came along...
Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Check the device Len uses for coyote hunting.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:10 PM

if you tore lig/tendons and the left arm comes out of socket - (you probably know this) DON'T SHOOT LEFT HANDED EITHER!!!
I'm not sure why you can't shoot bench (unless you are wanting to practice from hunting positions, then I understand).

I'll +1 on the stix or a bipod and sitting. As long as you can get set-up decently without hurting the left shoulder doing so. I'm not sure there is any real way to modify a prone position to do what you want.

Question on this - what are you shooting? and locations?
When prone - does the shoulder come out when you lean down on your elbow, or is it reaching forward with the left hand (or - where is your left arm/hand when you shoot, do you hold the forearm of the gun or have the hand tucked under you to raise/lower the buttstock or what?)? The answer to this MAY help figure out a modified prone position that won't hurt the shoulder.