Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box
Browning 28 3.87%
Cooper 83 11.48%
CZ 12 1.66%
Dakota 6 0.83%
Henry 0 0%
Howa 12 1.66%
Kimber 4 0.55%
Marlyn 5 0.69%
NEF 1 0.14%
Remington 117 16.18%
Sako 72 9.96%
Savage 270 37.34%
Steyr 9 1.24%
Thompson 9 1.24%
Weatherby 35 4.84%
Winchester 18 2.49%
Other 42 5.81%
Voters: 723. You may not vote on this poll

Right Out Of The Box----

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: Right Out Of The Box----

I own 3 CZ centerfire rifles and all of them shoot 1/2" at 100 yards with handloads. My CZ 452 shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with cheap CCI Blazer .22LR ammo.

All my CZ centerfire rifles shoot twice as good as their factory targets indicate with good handloads.

The fact that Savage comes out on top in this survey means that Savage outsells CZ (and Sako and a few others) by a wide margin in the USA.

Russian Special Forces use CZ rifles. If Savage was better, they maybe could save a few bucks and it could give them better deniability. US Special Forces generally use something besides standard production rifles, but deniability is their major concern after a certain level of quality is reached. The CZ 75 pistol is one of their favorites. CZ is bigtime popular in the special forces world of many nations as their weapons are awesome in an absolute sense as well as for price. .
Old 01-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

I went with Savage as #1 but my Remington 7MAG is #2 and my 03A3 Springfield .3006 is just as good as my Remington, if not better.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Most all savages I own are heavy barreled versions, but I also own a couple 99's. The first group out of every Savage I've owned was 3/4" or smaller (not counting the 99's). All shoot well into the three's and a couple have no trouble getting into the mid two's consistently. One single shot would do sub twos on a regular basis, but still couldn't be counted on to do that everytime. I always thought it was just me or I was lucky, till I started to look around. I was not an exception to the rule, and really just one among many. Then my brother inlaw buys a 30-06 Savage in stainless steel with the factory brake and the rubber stock. He starts out shooting 3/4" groups with Federal Supreme ammo! His rifle now shoots right at 1/2" groups rather consistently. It's just as it came out of the box ten years ago.

Now I own four or five 30-06's in one brand name or another. Plus a couple I no longer own. My favorite was a Remington 700ADL. Not the most accurate, but still very good. The most accurate 30-06 I've owned is a Weatherby Vanguard. It will shoot better than the operator as long as you give the barrel time to cool down between shots. It will do .60" groups on a good day without a hitch. And shoot sub inch groups at two hundreds yards rather consistently. On the otherhand I have a Marlin MR7 that started out shooting just under an inch at 100 yards, and will shoot just under 3/4" now (keep in mind I've never bothered to work up a good accuracey load in any 30-06 I own). I have a MK.V. lightweight Weatherby that started out in the 3/4" area, and I honestly think the rifle can be made to shoot sub .60" groups. I have a regular MK.V. that dosn't shoot that well, but still prints in the 3/4" range all the time. I have zero complaints about any of them, except that I often wish I had the ADL back in my safe! The Marlin has the same basic feel and balance of the ADL, but the way the stock is cut induces felt recoil (I'll fix that one of these days)

Now if you goto a "factory benchrest shoot" you will see about 80% Savage rifles, and that's why the call it "The Savage Line." Sure you'll see a Remington or two, and maybe a Cooper, but that's about it when it gets down to the last relay.
gary
Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL Shot View Post
I own 3 CZ centerfire rifles and all of them shoot 1/2" at 100 yards with handloads. My CZ 452 shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with cheap CCI Blazer .22LR ammo.

All my CZ centerfire rifles shoot twice as good as their factory targets indicate with good handloads.

The fact that Savage comes out on top in this survey means that Savage outsells CZ (and Sako and a few others) by a wide margin in the USA.

Russian Special Forces use CZ rifles. If Savage was better, they maybe could save a few bucks and it could give them better deniability. US Special Forces generally use something besides standard production rifles, but deniability is their major concern after a certain level of quality is reached. The CZ 75 pistol is one of their favorites. CZ is bigtime popular in the special forces world of many nations as their weapons are awesome in an absolute sense as well as for price. .
All my reading backs up what you're saying about the CZ. I've never owned one but I would like to...

Savage is just a special name for me; many moons ago it meant that a rather poor man
could have a great shooter without having his family go hungry. That I did always
appreciate. Now days, Savage prizes are getting pretty competitive but you can still get
a shooter. Just maybe I'll last long enough in this world to own a CZ... if not well I'm happy with...Right Out Of The Box-----2savages.jpg

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Tikka/Sako for me. Savage's are all right but none that I have/had can match the Finns in accuracy, not to mention the fit and feel. I will still continue to own Savage's as they are decent guns for the money. They just need a stock/trigger/barrel swap...

CZ's are guns I wouldn't mind shooting more.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Bronze Member

I have several 30-06s, my favorite is a Smith Corona made in 1942 with a Springfield 03 action and barrel, it had a sporterized stock with a Leupold scope and it has taken many deer, I have lost track, this fall it will be my caribou rifle.

I have a Savage .308 now, it is starting with open sights, and at 200 yards getting 3" groups, with open sights , I hope to get a Leupold for it also.

" a well- armed citizenry is the first defense against tryany". Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

I see Savage Arms handily beat out everything else in the poll.......

You can't beat a Savage for OOB accuracy considering the price point. I can buy 2 Savages for one Cooper.......

It wins hands down.

Savage isn't about pretty. Savage Arms makes no bones about asthetics versus accuracy. It's all about accuracy.

My 111 in .338 has no issues just enlarging holes at 100 yards with factory loads. Would probably not even raise the edge fuzz with handloads which will come later..... and....

The Accutrigger is what triggers should be like. Mine pulls crisp with no pretravel or creep at 3 pounds 2 ounces (checked with my Lyman pull gage) right out of the box.

Can't beat 'em.