Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box
Browning 31 4.08%
Cooper 90 11.84%
CZ 12 1.58%
Dakota 7 0.92%
Henry 0 0%
Howa 13 1.71%
Kimber 4 0.53%
Marlyn 5 0.66%
NEF 1 0.13%
Remington 126 16.58%
Sako 77 10.13%
Savage 275 36.18%
Steyr 10 1.32%
Thompson 9 1.18%
Weatherby 37 4.87%
Winchester 19 2.50%
Other 44 5.79%
Voters: 760. You may not vote on this poll

Right Out Of The Box----

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Right Out Of The Box----

Savage all the way for out of the box. have had 10 in the last year and all shot better than 1" @ 100 even the axis's.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Bronze Member

Out of the box or right off the shelf, my best success has been with Savage, so that is what I am sticking with.

" a well- armed citizenry is the first defense against tryany". Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

My experience over the years is with a Kimber, a Savage, a few Remingtons, and a Ruger. These were all "factory" guns, right out of the box. Some were broken in "properly" while others were less fortunate and one was flat out broken. THe most accurate of the bunch was a 2009 Remington VSSF II with the attorney trigger in .223. This was one of the lucky ones that was broken in and today will shoot a group of 52gn Sierra MK's regularly to a half minute and less. The woodchucks on the farm hate this gun, though few get to complain

The Savage is a 22-250 that also shoots very well. But it is a left hand gun and I shoot right hand. Never could get used to it.

The Ruger is accurate to a minute at 100 and is well made. It is a .375 and just isn't fun to shoot hence I just don't use it much.

The Kimber was also accurate to a minute or less but it has too many other issues. I believe this gun was made by the old Kimber of Oregon. Now i'm curious and I'll have to look at it tonight when I get home.

my 2 cents
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Silver Member

Salesmen who work at Scheel's in Billings and personally own Cooper, Kimber, CZ and whatever else you can think of, say their CZ rifles shoot as well as anything and do it for less money.

Now that the Euro is in trouble, CZ should be even better value for money, and they disappear off the racks at Scheel's rather quickly. The racks seem to be empty of CZ centerfires for a good deal of the time between shipments the past couple of years.

All my CZ centerfires shoot 1/2" or less at 100 yards in box stock condition. I haven't even bothered to adjust the adjustable triggers. Zero mechanical issues out of 5 CZ firearms, one of them owned for 18 years. My accuracy is equal to the claims of Nosler with their best custom rifles. CZ rifles come with a factory test target, and mine always shoot twice as good as the test target with good handloads.

I have a hard time buying a new rifle that does NOT come with a factory test target, as long as I can get a CZ that does....and usually at a lower cost than the other rifle I would consider.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM

I just bought a sps model 700 7mm! It shot .343 out of 5 shots right out of the box! after of course 6 rounds to zero it in with the new scope! All in all very happy with it just so you know it was with factory ammo also can,t wait to work up a few hand loads look out! I also have a freind that shoots alot of remington actions on his custom bench guns very impressive! and that was from a 100 yards I think this gun will be more than I was looking for! Also the savage has been putting out impressive guns but I have heard alot of people send them back once or twice till they get a shooter!I did not want to risk not being happy so i bought the rem!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL Shot View Post
Salesmen who work at Scheel's in Billings and personally own Cooper, Kimber, CZ and whatever else you can think of, say their CZ rifles shoot as well as anything and do it for less money.

Now that the Euro is in trouble, CZ should be even better value for money, and they disappear off the racks at Scheel's rather quickly. The racks seem to be empty of CZ centerfires for a good deal of the time between shipments the past couple of years.

All my CZ centerfires shoot 1/2" or less at 100 yards in box stock condition. I haven't even bothered to adjust the adjustable triggers. Zero mechanical issues out of 5 CZ firearms, one of them owned for 18 years. My accuracy is equal to the claims of Nosler with their best custom rifles. CZ rifles come with a factory test target, and mine always shoot twice as good as the test target with good handloads.

I have a hard time buying a new rifle that does NOT come with a factory test target, as long as I can get a CZ that does....and usually at a lower cost than the other rifle I would consider.

I may not be a fan of CZ, but I completely agree that in today's world, a rifle should come with proof of its' accuracy potential!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
I may not be a fan of CZ, but I completely agree that in today's world, a rifle should come with proof of its' accuracy potential!
Guess many folks think that's a new sales deal, but it's really kinda old. I have one test target from around 1976, that's about 3/4" and another that's slightly over an inch from Weatherby. The first gun was bought when Weatherby touted sub one inch groups, and the other was later when they did 1.5" in the MK. V's. Cooper has been doing it for years in their high grade 22 rimfires (do not know if their centerfires come with a target). Savage has an accuracey rateing, but never saw a test target from them.

Upto the advent of the Savage target grade rifles the leader was the Remington 40X. This was a day in day out thing, and you knew what you got when you opened the box it came in. Then Savage started showing up right on their doorstep with their varmit rifles. Then they did some changes in bedding and later trigger designs that allowed them to pass the mod. 40 series. After that they did another bedding redesign, and built a solid top action and the world was theirs for the asking. I suspect their next step is to go with a higher grade barrell from an outside source like Remington did. If I were shopping for an accurate rifle, and could buy a 40x for the price as a Savage, I would buy it. But you can't, and that's the nature of the beast here.
gary