Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box
Browning 31 4.07%
Cooper 90 11.83%
CZ 12 1.58%
Dakota 7 0.92%
Henry 0 0%
Howa 13 1.71%
Kimber 4 0.53%
Marlyn 5 0.66%
NEF 1 0.13%
Remington 126 16.56%
Sako 77 10.12%
Savage 276 36.27%
Steyr 10 1.31%
Thompson 9 1.18%
Weatherby 37 4.86%
Winchester 19 2.50%
Other 44 5.78%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Right Out Of The Box----

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Right Out Of The Box----

I have never owned a CZ but I have four Tikkas and a Howa. For under a grand outa the box accuracy I would buy each one all over again!!

The proper use of a Pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your Rifle.

The best gun to have? ... The one in your hand when the fight starts!

Respect All - Fear None
Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Im missing something here: My vote goes for ruger Ive had 3 rugers straight out of the box shoot under 1 inch groups even with lawyer friendly triggers! Im not saying go out and buy a mini 30 or 14 these arew junk but bolt guns are good as gold from ruger.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
I can't believe I did not add the Tikka to the list... Sorry!

The Tikka is a budget priced Sako, so it's listed.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Gold Member

You left off Blaser & Interarms.

The Blaser has a very small US market share, but I've never heard of one that didn't shoot groups around 3/8", which is truly amazing. Their price is also pretty amazing for how high it is.

The most accurate commercial rifle I've ever owned is a cheap Interarms Mini-Mark-X .223 bolt action. It has shot groups at .12"-.25" with factory ammunition since I got it 2 decades ago. It's not pretty, but it shoots amazingly well.

Savage rifles can be amazingly accurate, even the old 110s. I picked up a beat-up, rusty old Savage 110 with their plastic stock in .243 for my dad to leave in his barn for varmint control. After cleaning it up, including a lot of rust removal, we took it to the range & it shot 1-hole groups consistently with factory ammunition. It's still not in his barn it shoots too well to let it get destroyed there.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Bronze Member

I think Browning or Winchester right out of the box shooting factory ammo. I think Savage is good but, you must hand load for accuracy.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentdrake View Post
I think Browning or Winchester right out of the box shooting factory ammo. I think Savage is good but, you must hand load for accuracy.
have owned three savage 22-250's (still own two). With plain jane Remington loaded ammo the worst one of the bunch shot just under .50" at 100 yards. The best one would shoot very low threes. Hand loading them dosn't help as much as most folks would think it would, and I found that interesting. The rifle that shot in the threes did shoot mid twos with hand loads and shot a few groups (not many) in the .180" range using Sierra #1365 bullets over IMR 3031. The rifle that started out at slightly under .50" made the biggest gain with hand loads and would often print .25" groups I have a Mod. 12 that really needs to be shot more as I think it can be a consistent low twos rifle with some tweeking here and there. (mostly adjusting the bedding screw tension and some ring and bases work). All that 22-250 ammo came out of a fire sale that left the boxes smoke & water damaged, and was given to me.

I've never owned a Browning bolt gun, so can't comment on them. But had one Winchester varmit in .223 and another in 22-250. The .223 was a rock solid 1.5" gun on a good day, and the 22-250 was a 1" gun out of the box. I rebarreled it in 6BR, and made some other revisions here and there. It'll do threes.
gary
Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentdrake View Post
have owned three savage 22-250's (still own two). With plain jane Remington loaded ammo the worst one of the bunch shot just under .50" at 100 yards. The best one would shoot very low threes. Hand loading them dosn't help as much as most folks would think it would, and I found that interesting. The rifle that shot in the threes did shoot mid twos with hand loads and shot a few groups (not many) in the .180" range using Sierra #1365 bullets over IMR 3031. The rifle that started out at slightly under .50" made the biggest gain with hand loads and would often print .25" groups I have a Mod. 12 that really needs to be shot more as I think it can be a consistent low twos rifle with some tweeking here and there. (mostly adjusting the bedding screw tension and some ring and bases work). All that 22-250 ammo came out of a fire sale that left the boxes smoke & water damaged, and was given to me.

I've never owned a Browning bolt gun, so can't comment on them. But had one Winchester varmit in .223 and another in 22-250. The .223 was a rock solid 1.5" gun on a good day, and the 22-250 was a 1" gun out of the box. I rebarreled it in 6BR, and made some other revisions here and there. It'll do threes.
gary