Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box
Browning 31 4.16%
Cooper 86 11.53%
CZ 12 1.61%
Dakota 7 0.94%
Henry 0 0%
Howa 12 1.61%
Kimber 4 0.54%
Marlyn 5 0.67%
NEF 1 0.13%
Remington 123 16.49%
Sako 74 9.92%
Savage 275 36.86%
Steyr 10 1.34%
Thompson 9 1.21%
Weatherby 36 4.83%
Winchester 19 2.55%
Other 42 5.63%
Voters: 746. You may not vote on this poll

Right Out Of The Box----

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Right Out Of The Box----

I would have to say in order of consistently accurate Vanguard, Savage, Remington.

If you buy one that doesn't shoot well the Remington is the easiest to accurize and responds
well to bedding, floating and any other truing.

There are lots of other good factory rifles that shoot well sometimes but the price has very little to do with accuracy.

Any rifle that will shoot well is great to me, but one that shoots poorly is a dog, and I have no use for it no matter how much it cost.

I have owned rifles that were very expensive and shot well and bought another only to find myself with a dog.

The all time best shooting factory rifle out of the box that I have owned was a Remington Sendero
with a chrome molly barrel (One of the very first Remington made). I loved this rifle and though I needed a fluted stainless barreled one, But It would only shoot 3/4 MOA no matter what I did to it.

When you buy a factory rifle you buy a pig in a poke, and if you get a good one "Great". so buy what you want and hope for the best. Many people are very happy with 1 MOA rifles. others like 1/2
MOA rifles. Most of the Long Range shooters want and need 1/4 MOA rifles or better.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I would have to say in order of consistently accurate Vanguard, Savage, Remington.

If you buy one that doesn't shoot well the Remington is the easiest to accurize and responds
well to bedding, floating and any other truing.

There are lots of other good factory rifles that shoot well sometimes but the price has very little to do with accuracy.

Any rifle that will shoot well is great to me, but one that shoots poorly is a dog, and I have no use for it no matter how much it cost.

I have owned rifles that were very expensive and shot well and bought another only to find myself with a dog.

The all time best shooting factory rifle out of the box that I have owned was a Remington Sendero
with a chrome molly barrel (One of the very first Remington made). I loved this rifle and though I needed a fluted stainless barreled one, But It would only shoot 3/4 MOA no matter what I did to it.

When you buy a factory rifle you buy a pig in a poke, and if you get a good one "Great". so buy what you want and hope for the best. Many people are very happy with 1 MOA rifles. others like 1/2
MOA rifles. Most of the Long Range shooters want and need 1/4 MOA rifles or better.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
I've been called every name in the book for my comments on the Weatherby Vanguard rifle series. They are just over achievers right out of the box. Another that simply amazed me for an out of the box gun was the older Sako with the factory set trigger. I saw a couple in 6mm PPC that shot mid threes out of the box with no load development what so ever. A very impressive feat in my eyes. Had the Vanguards had a better barrel, I sure they would have been sub half inch guns out of the box.

On the otherhand some rifles we buy are known not to be fantastically tight grouping rifles. Something like a Ruger #1, or an 1885 falling block will never shoot with a good bolt gun (or will they?) But we love them just they way they are. I love Savage 99's, and Sako Finnwulfs. These rifles won't shoot with the big dogs any day of the week. But the have a nitch in my heart. I often see posted targets from folks with three shots looking pretty good, but I'm a five shot person on multi targets. You take a six or nine target board with five shots under a half inch and your looking pretty danged good in my book, no matter who built the rifle. But don't waste your time showing me a three shot one up target.
gary
Old 06-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Actually, they are all accurate. It entirely depends on what a person considers 'accurate'.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Within the past couple of years I have been extremely impressed with Savage as they come right out of the box. I have recommended a few of my friends to go with the Savage Weather warrior chambered in 300wsm as their go-to all-around big game hunting rifles, and all of them shoot sub-3/4 MOA with factory Barnes 165 grain Vor-Tx ammo. I have never worked up any loads for these rifles, but I would not be surprised if I was able to turn any one of them into consistent 1/2 moa or sub-1/2 moa performers with just a little bit of work.