Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box
Browning 31 4.16%
Cooper 86 11.54%
CZ 12 1.61%
Dakota 7 0.94%
Henry 0 0%
Howa 12 1.61%
Kimber 4 0.54%
Marlyn 5 0.67%
NEF 1 0.13%
Remington 123 16.51%
Sako 73 9.80%
Savage 275 36.91%
Steyr 10 1.34%
Thompson 9 1.21%
Weatherby 36 4.83%
Winchester 19 2.55%
Other 42 5.64%
Voters: 745. You may not vote on this poll

Right Out Of The Box----

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Right Out Of The Box----

I see no one voted for the Henry. Understandable, in as much as most Henry's sold are chambered for pistol rounds, but I have to say that for rifle work under 100 yards, the Henry will do just fine plus it has to be the smoothest cycling lever gun I've ever shot. Yes, I own one chambered in 44 Remington Magnum with a full, mirror polished brass receiver, octagon barrel and iron sights.

The craftsmanship is flawless, the furniture is beautiful and it's more of a wall hanger than a beat around lever rifle. Mine hangs on the wall btw.

I chose the 44 magnum chamberinbg to compliment my S&W 44 revolver. I send 240 grain Sierra Sportsmasters with H335 as the propellant in both guns.

An all around great whitetail round in either firearm.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I see no one voted for the Henry. Understandable, in as much as most Henry's sold are chambered for pistol rounds, but I have to say that for rifle work under 100 yards, the Henry will do just fine plus it has to be the smoothest cycling lever gun I've ever shot. Yes, I own one chambered in 44 Remington Magnum with a full, mirror polished brass receiver, octagon barrel and iron sights.

The craftsmanship is flawless, the furniture is beautiful and it's more of a wall hanger than a beat around lever rifle. Mine hangs on the wall btw.

I chose the 44 magnum chamberinbg to compliment my S&W 44 revolver. I send 240 grain Sierra Sportsmasters with H335 as the propellant in both guns.

An all around great whitetail round in either firearm.

Thanks for reminding me. After agonizing over recent Marylyn/Rem crap, I don't how I ever overlooked Henry. Don't overlook the Sierra 210's either.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:31 AM
Gold Member

I have to go with CZ on this one. I have never seen an inaccurate CZ, although I am sure a bad one slips out now and then. In my experience, CZ rifles will shoot just as accurately out of the box as anything out there, maybe a bit better. On top of that, you get a much higher quality rifle for the money. It is possible to outperform a CZ and to have higher build quality, but you will have to spend twice the money to get there.

CZ is my first choice. The FN made Winchesters are a close second.

In this day and age, I would submit that we rifleman are truly blessed with the range of choices we have today. The truth is, just about every manufacturer turns out accurate rifles. You can choose your price point and the other features, but there are a lot of accurate rifles being made these days. There are CHEAP rifles that shoot accurately, there are rifles that offer VALUE for the money, and there are custom rifles where the SKY IS THE LIMIT.

My comfort zone is in the VALUE category. I like to have an accurate rifle that is also a joy to own, carry, and shoot. Regardless of which category of rifle one prefers, the beauty is that there is an accurate rifle available for almost any budget.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

benchracer,

I like your post. Nice!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:13 PM

I unfortunately had to vote for Savage. I say "unfortunately" because at the start of my firearms fascination years ago Savage wasn't highly looked upon, especially their actions. However, over the recent years Savage has turned it around and is truly the manufacture you'll get the best bang for your buck for a hunting rifle. Back in the day (Belgium and early Japan models) Browning would have been my vote hands down, but just as many manufactures have lately their quality has taken a huge turn for the worse. I tell many of my customers now to stick with a trusted, good condition, used gun purchase.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

They are not on the list, but very hard to match! I'm talking about Heym's models SR 21 + straight pull SR 30. Superb accuracy, and, and, and... the whole package shows craftmanship at its best.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

my Thompson center was cheap and sub moa with WalMart ammo hard to beat that with rifles that cost three times as much