Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box
Browning 31 4.07%
Cooper 90 11.83%
CZ 12 1.58%
Dakota 7 0.92%
Henry 0 0%
Howa 13 1.71%
Kimber 4 0.53%
Marlyn 5 0.66%
NEF 1 0.13%
Remington 126 16.56%
Sako 77 10.12%
Savage 276 36.27%
Steyr 10 1.31%
Thompson 9 1.18%
Weatherby 37 4.86%
Winchester 19 2.50%
Other 44 5.78%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Right Out Of The Box----

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Right Out Of The Box----

I believe any Savage can easily be made to shoot as well or better than a Cooper. But not every Savage is capable of it -out of the box (or off the shelf). Some have poor barrels.

I've never heard of a bad shooting Cooper.
And Coopers are definitely 'nicer' guns, that are truly field practical.
You can build performance out of a Savage cheaper. But you can't build a Savage that's as nice as a Cooper much cheaper, if at all.
So I like them both, have/had both, but out-of-the-box performance, and even value, has to go to Cooper IMO.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

I can't believe I did not add the Tikka to the list... Sorry!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:01 AM

I know Savage shoots good, I have one in a .223, But there is no way I can go against Remington. I have a .243 ADL that was built in the sixties, it still looks new with the Walnut Stock, and at a 100 yards that rifle still shoots a Nickel pattern, I bought the BDL Walnut Stock in 1990 in the .270 and right out of the box at 100 yards I could shoot Empty Shotgun casing off the fencepost and went 10 for 10.

The Savage I have now I bought last year, and it does hold a tight pattern, at 100 yards it is about the size of a quarter with 5 rounds. That is good....
Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

I took the context of this poll to be about odds.
That is, if you went to a gunshop today to buy a gun off the rack, which brand would most likely shoot well when you got it home, just the way it is, no work on it or aftermarket changes.

Any of the brands listed have released good shooters. We all have our favorite guns.
Not what this poll is about..
Old 08-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Like mentioned before. "Out of the box" rifle. I have owned alot of the ones mentioned. Cooper was the best out of the box rifle, but I consider them a custom. Kinda tough to compare a $1500+ rifle to a $600 one.

Kinda half the fun for me is I buy a rifle, set it up with loads etc. Sell it to a friend at a reasonable price and start over.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 08-21-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

I have out of the box experience with remington by far, then a couple of savages, mauser action store models and a couple of Mossbergs.

All except a couple rems were good enough to do final tuning to get way more than adequate hunting quality. I was impressed with the two mossbergs...
Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

blipelt, this isn't 'best BARGAIN out of the box'.
I have a Browning Eclipse that cost more than my Cooper, and weatherbys get up there. Neither offer 'customs'. So in this regard, any Cooper certainly should be compared.
The only options I'm aware of with Coopers currently is wood grade, or an alternate twist for some cartridges. It's not a custom.

I have a Tubb T2k that would set you back $4500 out of the box(without scope). It is not a 'custom' gun, but a standard model as designed(with a 16mo wait). But this falls under 'other', as in 'another' crapshoot from barrel to barrel.

Now I could buy several Remingtons for the cost of a Browning. Maybe one of em would shoot & maybe transfer the others to a gunsmith for something of little value. But what a bother figuring which to keep & still it would never be worth more than a Remington. The Chevy Nova of guns..

I also don't consider load development, and getting a barrel changed, and more load development, to be fun by any stretch. It's a logistical nightmare for me. So it's making more & more sense to reward someone else for relieving me of some of this.