Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box
Browning 31 4.08%
Cooper 90 11.84%
CZ 12 1.58%
Dakota 7 0.92%
Henry 0 0%
Howa 13 1.71%
Kimber 4 0.53%
Marlyn 5 0.66%
NEF 1 0.13%
Remington 126 16.58%
Sako 77 10.13%
Savage 275 36.18%
Steyr 10 1.32%
Thompson 9 1.18%
Weatherby 37 4.87%
Winchester 19 2.50%
Other 44 5.79%
Voters: 760. You may not vote on this poll

Right Out Of The Box----

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Right Out Of The Box----

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
This all started back with Teddy Roosevelt, before any of us were born so it's not present day news really.

I believe what has to happen is the people need to take back the country from those who have ill intentions. Problem is, doing that would resort in bloodshed, heartache and a general disruption of everything we all take as normal, like what happened during the Civil War... and I'm really uncertain if the people would do it.

Remember, we are a minority (firearm owners) compared to the total population. It's like Roas Parks standing up and saying 'I'm not sitting in the nigger section of the bus, I'm an American and I'll sit anywhere'. In reality we are a modern day Rosa Parks.

On another note, ammunition is positively stupid priced. You can't get 22 rimfire and if you can, the once cheap stuff (bulk boxes of Remmy) that were 16 bucks for 500 3 months ago are 26 bucks, if, you can find them and Federal 223's are a buck a pop, 20 bucks for 20 rounds. Thats insane.

I have enough 223's to take a trip to Hawaii.

Yes, thats a Vincent Black Shadow in my signature picture.....T.E. Lawrence's favorite bike. I got to ride it a couple years ago. 'bout crapped my britches.....
a Vincent Black Shadow!!!!! For eons that was the fastest bike ever built, and really kinda neat to look at. The one bike I've always wanted thru out my life is a Triumph TT120 Bonneville. Have owned one Jap bike, and a couple Harleys, and now am thinking about a new Electra Glide (Switchback). Just don't wanta come off of $16K right this minute. I did a lot of machine work years back on some Triumphs and a couple BSA's converting their oddball threads over with steel inserts, and sorta decided I just had to have one someday.
gary
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
a Vincent Black Shadow!!!!! For eons that was the fastest bike ever built, and really kinda neat to look at. The one bike I've always wanted thru out my life is a Triumph TT120 Bonneville. Have owned one Jap bike, and a couple Harleys, and now am thinking about a new Electra Glide (Switchback). Just don't wanta come off of $16K right this minute. I did a lot of machine work years back on some Triumphs and a couple BSA's converting their oddball threads over with steel inserts, and sorta decided I just had to have one someday.
gary
Gary:

A PITA to ride. The Vinny has reverse clutch and brake levers. They pivot on the bar ends instead of inboard. That was the style back then and of course starting is a ritual. TDC carefully, just past and then a mighty down on the kickstarter...or it breaks your ankle. Sort of like my Norton......

I have a T120 Bonnie in the shop with a sidecar, hence Sidecar Flip. It's metric but pretty tricked out, custom ground cams, custom made stainless headers, Jet Hot coated, bored carbs, jetted up with cut away slides, 4 piston raciing brakes.... Just your style.... The chair has leather interior and a racing fuel cell in back for long trips, trailing link suspension with a PM 4 piston on a stainless drilled disc.

The TT had the twin under frame pipes, I have the twin carb road bike. I also have a '68 Norton P11A High piped scrambler wit a 750 Atlas non unit engine in mint condition....and......

A Triumph Rocket 3 2300 inline 3 cylinder touring bike, 165 horses at the crank.

I need to head out to the Hoosier this summer and plop your butt in the sidecar and take you for a spin I suspect. Never rode in the chair but I suspect it's a hoot to watch the wheels spin next to you......

Besides, we can talk shop. I always like talking shop, something you can't do with the younger generation.

Being an old fart has it's advantages....
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Forget the potato bike..... Triumph is the oldest surviving motorcycle manufacturer in the world. The first production Triumph wa sold 12 years prior to HD even producing a motorcycle.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

tikka's shoot great with no extra's needed.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Gary:

A PITA to ride. The Vinny has reverse clutch and brake levers. They pivot on the bar ends instead of inboard. That was the style back then and of course starting is a ritual. TDC carefully, just past and then a mighty down on the kickstarter...or it breaks your ankle. Sort of like my Norton......

I have a T120 Bonnie in the shop with a sidecar, hence Sidecar Flip. It's metric but pretty tricked out, custom ground cams, custom made stainless headers, Jet Hot coated, bored carbs, jetted up with cut away slides, 4 piston raciing brakes.... Just your style.... The chair has leather interior and a racing fuel cell in back for long trips, trailing link suspension with a PM 4 piston on a stainless drilled disc.

The TT had the twin under frame pipes, I have the twin carb road bike. I also have a '68 Norton P11A High piped scrambler wit a 750 Atlas non unit engine in mint condition....and......

A Triumph Rocket 3 2300 inline 3 cylinder touring bike, 165 horses at the crank.

I need to head out to the Hoosier this summer and plop your butt in the sidecar and take you for a spin I suspect. Never rode in the chair but I suspect it's a hoot to watch the wheels spin next to you......

Besides, we can talk shop. I always like talking shop, something you can't do with the younger generation.

Being an old fart has it's advantages....
The motors I redid all used the old British 50 degree thread, and bolts were getting hard to get. I simply opened the holes up and loctited a stainless steel threaded insert for a compairable sized inch (the BSA went metric) fine thread. Most of the holes I did in a big Johnson drill press. The main case holes were a bitch as there wasn't a lot of meat to work with, and I had to make my own inserts for them. Still not as bad as the time a Chrysler dealer sold me the wrong rocker arm adjusting screws for a slant six to use in a race hemi. The screws were hard as hell and most froze up, and a could broke off trying to get them out. Theres nothing really square and strait to hold onto. I finally made a fixture to hold them and took them out with a carbide drill bit. Couldn't figure out why they broke like till I measured the pitch diameter. There was about .005" difference!! Needless to say I was mad as a wet hen for about a month!
gary
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

That was the old Whitworth stuff. All my bikes are diametrical pitch.

I stull have some Whitworth spanners around.

Triumph has really come a long way on QC and allowing exrtra meat where necessary. I'm running Kehin smooth bore racing carbs on flowed intakes with QC main jets. I like CV carbs because intake vacuum predicates fuel delivery so there is no blubbering even with oversized bores.

Not bad 'right out of the box' btw.

I'll be sending you some candy shortly, including some A65 Beezers and a rare Truimph 750 Hurricane transverse 3.

Besides, bikes are a nice tension reliver for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaders_loft View Post
tikka's shoot great with no extra's needed.
I really like mine as well, and you don't have to kick start them!LOL