Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box
Browning 31 4.21%
Cooper 85 11.53%
CZ 12 1.63%
Dakota 7 0.95%
Henry 0 0%
Howa 12 1.63%
Kimber 4 0.54%
Marlyn 5 0.68%
NEF 1 0.14%
Remington 121 16.42%
Sako 72 9.77%
Savage 272 36.91%
Steyr 10 1.36%
Thompson 9 1.22%
Weatherby 36 4.88%
Winchester 18 2.44%
Other 42 5.70%
Voters: 737. You may not vote on this poll

Right Out Of The Box----

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Right Out Of The Box----

What he said.

" a well- armed citizenry is the first defense against tryany". Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Bronze Member

I had always thought my NEFs were the most accurate out of the box shooters. Then I bought my Weatherby Accumark, in .338/378. Had trouble getting the Night Force Scope to stay on the gun, kept shearing off mounts, or sliding and breaking rings. Finally got that problem fixed. Have done nothing to the gun itself except shoot it. Currently have taken a Grizzly at 620 yards, and a Moose at 810 yards. Can hit a gallon milk jug at 1000 yds everytime and 50/50 at 1200yds. I'm shooting a 250gr Nosler Partition, in front of IMR 7828.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
if you goto a bench rest shoot sometime, check out the firing line. You won't see many (if any Coopers there). It's almost always a Savage or a Remington, and usually Savages.
gary
This was an out of the box question. I have three Coopers and have had many more Savages. The Savages are accurate but not as accurate as Coopers. I would not build a benchrest gun on a Cooper but I would not use a Savage or Remington either. Most of these rifles you see at the matches are semi customs built on Savage or Remington actions. You can build a semi custom for about the price of a Cooper and on average it will be more accurate. In the end the only reason I prefer Coopers is for varminting. They are just more fun for me. For hunting rifles in non RUM cartridge lengths I would build on a Savage action. It is just great that we have so many choices for accurate rifles out of the box these days.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Remington Sendero !! A savage is still a savage kind of like buying a nissan , when you could own a F250
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfurman24 View Post
This was an out of the box question. I have three Coopers and have had many more Savages. The Savages are accurate but not as accurate as Coopers. I would not build a benchrest gun on a Cooper but I would not use a Savage or Remington either. Most of these rifles you see at the matches are semi customs built on Savage or Remington actions. You can build a semi custom for about the price of a Cooper and on average it will be more accurate. In the end the only reason I prefer Coopers is for varminting. They are just more fun for me. For hunting rifles in non RUM cartridge lengths I would build on a Savage action. It is just great that we have so many choices for accurate rifles out of the box these days.
The rule book states that the barrel will be factory, the trigger group will be factory, the stock will be factory, but you can rebed the action to a certain extent.
gary
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Remington Sendero !! A savage is still a savage kind of like buying a nissan , when you could own a F250
opinions will vary greatly on this issue. This poll alone will point that out
gary
Old 07-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
opinions will vary greatly on this issue. This poll alone will point that out
gary
Your right , my statement sounds kind of harsh . kind of like the old Ford and Chevy debate. In a friendly way . Thats what I meant. If one feels good about what he shoots ,then thats all that really matters.