Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

rifle finishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 03:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Apoligies

Dzaw-- I guess I took what you said the wrong way. You didn't need to apologize, but I appreciate it anyway.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: Apoligies

Dzaw,
The loping goats of the open prairies walk around with about 8X binos for eyes! And yes I have shiny guns to chase them with.
All joking aside, most of the animals I hunt have better vision than I think. In contrast, I believe movement is what will give you away quicker than a stainless barrel.

timl,
Theres some info around here on the various coatings, from bake on teflon, to krylon. I think I'm going to try Duracoat on my current project. It seems to be user friendly and tough. I have been warned to wait 2 to 3 weeks before any rough handling though. Run a search on each and you should come up with a couple days of reading material!
Good luck.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: rifle finishing

Tim,

Like others has stated, check out the Duracoat. You can do it yourself and save some $$ if your handy. KG Gunkote is very good also, but it takes a little more work. Sandblasting, oven baking the parts. These two are very durable, simple Krylon paint works well, you will have to touch it up as needed. I like to use products that have built in abrasion resistance. I use KG Gunkote the most. Brownells has some new bake on teflon-moly coatings. Either one of these are not cheap, you can get the Duracoat system in kit form, you have to use an air brush. No baking is needed, but it can be force cured in 110 deg oven. Duracoat can be applied to the entire rifle, even scopes. KG gun coat cannot, baked on only, 300 deg oven temp. Use your emagination, camo jobs is to make the owner happy, the game dont care..LOL.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: rifle finishing

Don't mess around send it here and have peace of mind.....Randy does TOP NOTCH work..

http://www.rdprecision.net/index.html

Also I feel the Moly coating is much better than the DuraCoat with the Moly once out of the over your good to go DuraCoat takes 4-6 weeks to completely cure...No solvents can touch it during the cure time.A real pain in the hindend....