Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

rifle finishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

rifle finishing

I'm thinking about having a rifle finished in camo or another color. I know you guys have experience with this. Any recommendations on where to get it done? I really don't care about protecting the rifle, just want a different finish.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: rifle finishing

A different finish? why not have the exterior gold plated? No? how about chrome? Mix it up and have the stock done in chrome and the metalwork in gold!

The idea that shiny is bad is one of those absurdities that amuse me to no end. Almost none of the animals we hunt have much eyesite to speak of. Hearing and smell they have all over us, but eyes? if it aint moving, it hasn't drawn any attention yet!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

This guy did one for me, Duracoat is very tough finish!!

http://www.m2tactical.com/
Old 03-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

Dzaw--sorry I asked that stupid question. Next time I decide to have something done to one of MY rifles, I'll check with you first. If I wanted someone to question the necessity of spending more money on a rifle, I would have asked my wife. If you don't have a helpful answer to someone's question, don't answer.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

tim duracoat is good alumahyde is another brownell's sell's it some use krylon camo . as for drawz well i use to come here alot an asked about a tactical scope and guy with 1700 + post's with the initials BB went off about why did i want a scope like that. Afghanistan and the jungle canopy of Vietnam i guess i should of said long range
Old 03-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

timl & deadbeat,

Sometimes some folks mean the right thing in the right way but is goes awry in the typing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I like my colors as loud and wild as I can get. For LRH there ain't no animal aware that I'm in the area.

Duracoat is super as is krylon etc. I put a base coat of p/u truck bed coating as a base cost. Nice and rough but not too rough. Leave it that way for black or cover it w/air brush or krylon can.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Bronze Member

Apoligies

Kind Sirs,

The somment above about non shiny finished and my opinion of the reasons most often cited were not then and are not now intended as personal slights towards yourselves or anyone in particular. For the record, I have no problem if you like your gun matte black, camo, or any other color and finish.

The comment was aimed mostly at factory riflemakers, who figured out that not polishing their metal parts would save a significant amount of money per unit, and then found a way to foist off this lazy, money grubbing poor practice as a feature, and charge MORE for it!

Do whatever the heck you want with your gun, as you so aptly pointed out it IS your rifle! Considering I'll not ever likely meet you in person, it makes no real difference to me!

I was simply trying to be humorous, with the gold and nickel thing. If my sense of humor is lacking, or my delivery is less than graceful, the fault lies entirely with me, and I am sorry I so offended you.

For what it's worth (which I fear may not be much, I suppose), here is the official apology. I never meant anything by it, and I am sorry.