Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Rifle Color Patterns Camo or otherwise, a question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle Color Patterns Camo or otherwise, a question?

Deer see ultraviolet- UV and use it as a danger signal. For bowhunting I take everything in a dark room and black light it. Anything that glows is trouble. Colors close to violet in wavelenght should be avoided for deer and I suppose elk.

I know that almost all commercial detergent have "brightners" which are just UV reflectors. Whether this is true of paints I don't know. I do not know what the color range is for night vision animals such a coyotes nor do I know the band width for daytime. whatever a dog or wolf has is probably the same for a coyote.

I would personally go with the Matt Kenseth #17 black and yellow Dewalt Ford paint job if it was me.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

Deer seeing the UV spectrum has never been proven and the biggest advocate of this theory is the maker of UV Killer clothes wash.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Gold Member

WEll for what is's worth, the critters around where we hunt come in two classes. Either they are totally blind and will walk dang near on top of you no matter what, or they will pick you out from halfway across the cotton patch while you completly camo'ed with the sun at your back.

As for what we use, mainly earthtone colors for paint jobs on the rifles, and our clothes are bottom land camo. My stuff is surplus and blends in perfectly in the woods, and in the open fields I generally just wear my brown carharts. Seem to blend right in with the dead grasses.

Movement will do you in more times than not, however, we have had deer as well as hogs come right up to within 20yds or less of us walking down the road. Really erks ya sometimes, cause they generally do it when your right in the middle of some sort of work you just can't stop. Or of course when you don't have a gun, heck they look like they are coming in for a hand out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 02-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Nice work Roy! Takin orders?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:26 AM
SPONSOR

I have a big 50cal HBR stock on order from McMillan that will be 40%Black---30%White---30%Grey

should look nice as long as it doesnt come out looking like a dang zebra!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 02-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Sure, for your car too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
should look nice as long as it doesnt come out looking like a dang zebra!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't look like a dang zebra but how about an appaloosa's ass [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]