Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Rifle Color Patterns Camo or otherwise, a question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Rifle Color Patterns Camo or otherwise, a question?

For LRH rifles:
1) Does it make any difference if the rifle is camo'd or has a NASCAR (Loud) paint job?

For walk & stalk or call rifles:
1) If camo'd should the camo pattern be:
a) Pleasing to the human such as mossy oak or whatever?
b) Be geared more towards being effective for the environment?
c) Makes no difference.

Would like to hear some of your thoughts and preferences.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Gold Member

Re: Rifle Color Patterns Camo or otherwise, a question?

Id say you do not necessarily need a camo pattern.... something that blends in the environment or at least is not a NASCAR would do for stalking/calling. etc.....

Ive hunted for years with a grey stock in my rem. That said, I like the marble finish much better than a plain colour or a cammo pattern.

As far as very LR rifle, colour may not matter but......if you are out hunting you never know when youll get the chance to shoot so Id rather not sport a pinky-easily-to see-from-far-away stock.

Of course, we could enter a discussion regarding the possibility of game to really spot an object with some colours that humans consider as NASCAR. My thought is that it is the pattern/lines and not the colour what will make a difference.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Roy:

It seems that when this subject comes up people tend to think in terms of what they see and what they think might be good or bad. If you believe the so called experts, then animals see mostly in shades of gray. I do know that movement and reflections can and will spook them.

Last fall during hunting season we tried an experiment. We had two guns with stainless actions and barrels and one with a blued action and stainless barrel and one with blued action and barrel. Admittedly the stainless units were all matte type finish and not highly polished. I know a lot of people say that stainless is a no no when it comes to animals but I'll tell you what we found.

We set the four rifles up and then the rest of drove around and at different ranges we tried the 4 rifles in the open sitting on the back of a flat top pickup cover, in the sagebrush where they were in plain sight but were down in the brush and with a person holding them. At least for the old farts that were conducting the test, the stainless did not stand out like the proverbial sore thumb. The stainless units did not cause a reflection no matter how we turned them and they did not appear as bright white units that stood out. We tested with just our normal eyesight as well as with 10 power binoculars.

What did make a big difference was movement, no matter which gun was being moved. Any one of the units was spotted easily when moved but here again the stainless units were no easier to see than the blued gun. That said, the movement of the guy holding the guns was far more easily spotted than just the movement of the gun. At one of the ranges the guy moving the guns was also skylined and you could see his outline. That made him stand out even more and his movement again showed up more than the movement of the guns.

The biggest difference of anything we tried, as far as being able to spot the guns, was when the guns were pointed into the sun. The reflections off of the objective lens stood out and was noticable especially when being moved.

I personally feel that my ss action and barrel are not a problem but you have to go with what makes you feel warm and fuzzy. For a long range gun just shoot what you bring and be happy. If it makes you feel better for a walk/stalk gun then dull it up as much as you want. I still think that reflection on glass or movement will kill you more than the color or pattern of color.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Gold Member

Agreed.Id just add that a cammo/profile breaking pattern may disguise some slight movement
Old 02-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Agree also. Just wondering about patterns. I'm a bit of a do it yourselfer and sandy claus brought me an airbrush.

After a self imposed crash course and bugging the hell out of the local body shop people after hours of taking pics of scenary and painting an old plastic stock I have this is the first shot at something I'd let someone else see. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

A Closer look
Old 02-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Roy:

I see the two pictures of the scenery but is there supposed to be a gun in there someplace??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Actually it looks pretty good to me. Now just do the bipod and you're ready to go. Is that your winter yote gun??
Old 02-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

An aged FEM 722 in 222REM. My Walk & Stalk and call go to gun. Its been to hades and back. Has a 26" bbl. Really like it. Pushes the little 40gr Vmax pretty well. Coyote accurate but not much more...

Have one of those 270AMs coming for reaching out and touching. I'm really good at getting them to hang up out there @ 600+yds.....