Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Is it Reticle or Reticule, HUH?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Is it Reticle or Reticule, HUH?

Anal me sees a fella posting RETICULE, I've been using RETICLE. The Board Software redlines RETICLE. I say, huh?????

The MacMini I use has a dictionary in the task bar so, it being that easy I looked it up.

Here's what I found:

reticule |ˈretiˌkyoōl|
noun
1 chiefly historical a woman's small handbag, originally netted and typically having a drawstring and decorated with embroidery or beading.
2 variant spelling of reticle .
ORIGIN early 18th cent.: from French réticule, from Latin reticulum (see reticulum ).

reticle |ˈretikəl|
noun
a series of fine lines or fibers in the eyepiece of an optical device, such as a telescope or microscope, or on the screen of an oscilloscope, used as a measuring scale or an aid in locating objects.
ORIGIN mid 18th cent.: from Latin reticulum ‘net.’

Some of had best check the scopes we use as the reason for those misses may well be the handbag that's in there.

If you read all of this yuranerd
Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Reticle

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

A comparison of different reticles used in telescopic sights. The lower right represents a reticle found in the scope of a Russian SVD sniper rifle.

"Reticle" redirects here. For the pattern used in photolithography, see photomask.
"Crosshair" redirects here. For the fictional characters in Transformers, see Crosshairs (Transformers).
A crosshair or reticle is a shape superimposed on an image that is used for precise alignment of a device. Crosshairs are most commonly represented as intersecting lines in a "+" shape, though many variations exist, including dots, posts, circles, scales, chevrons, or a combination of each. Most commonly associated with telescopic sights for aiming firearms, crosshairs are also common in optical instruments used for astronomy and surveying, and are also popular in graphical user interfaces as a precision pointer. The crosshair was invented by Robert Hooke, and dates to the 17th century.

I read the other post and was going to give you a bad time but I thought that maybe they give out different dictionaries in Idaho than the rest of us use.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

Reticle. Definitely.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

Of course I read all your post, Roy. You usually leave us a gem when you write, and you did this time too. I learned what you call that thing my wife has been hittin' me with all these years. And I thought it was just a purse!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

empty4by4

I thought "purse" was something wives did with their lips, now I discover it's actually a "reticule"!?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

I would not Ridicule your spelling of Reticle as Reticule!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I thought "purse" was something wives did with their lips
It is!!.............. usually right after they find out how much we spend on something with a reticle in it.:eek:

Chris