Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Remington Sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington Sendero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlyCamo View Post
the same company that owns Remington also owns DPMS, H&R, NEF, Bushmaster and a few more companies. They are not even shooters.
Watch what happens over the next few years. Only the elite can afford a Remington. I still love my used uns. The do them one little holes. hehe
Yes they are shooters---the ones that are involved with the middle holding company that answers to the Big C are. Have a friend who knows them and worked with them until very recently.

They are the ones that put the "money" into the Remington Custom Shop.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

demarpaint made a good point about the "Bean Counters". When the Remmy lady said "they were not very popular." What that really means is that it doesn't meet the Remington business plan which is to mass produce rifles cheaply, sell boat loads of them and make a killing (huge profit) on them. I went into my thoughts on Remmy's business plan at length a while back on another post so I've kept it short. Their Market Plan...niche is geared towards those that think 2-3 inch groups @ 100 yards is just dandy...so build em cheap, sell em cheap enough but by the boatloads and walla huge profit. Don't agree with that concept but, it is what it is.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

Remington in the last few years have been changing their direction considerably. They so far have made some huge blunders as far as I can see. Some of these failures are the 105 CTI and a butt ugly pump gun I cannot remember the model of to replace the 870 which is purely stupid in my eyes. Next it seems that their hanging their hat on their version of the AR15 and the AR10 which they are good guns but their aimed at the younger shooters that are into the spray and pray guns and those that got all caught up in the Pre-Ban Post-Ban Ban-Again fiasco that is going to end up with the used gun racks full of used AR15 type guns in the future when they figure out their not the great investment they thought they would be. The 710 is another POS that is being perpetrated on the unknown public. Those thing weigh a ton and to make a young shooter carry a gun like that will make them grow to hate you. Its like the 700 ADL Youth .270 they built. Father buys one of those and then buys the first box of ammo they see and takes their kids out to shoot and after the first shot the kid does not want to shoot it again as the gun has very little weight which is good for them as it does not outweigh them but kicks like a mule and the kid learns to hate it. Buy it in a .243 and the kid learns to shoot. But you see 10 times more of the .270's as you do .243's. Great gun to buy as their usually cheap because they have a great action to build another gun on.
Some of the great moves the company that owns Remington has made was buying Bushmaster, Buying Remington, Buying Dakota Arms, and buying Marlin. You have all the way from High end to middle range and then the low end with H&R. Something for everyone. But there are some people that are messing with things in the middle that ought to have their head examined.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

So what is new about Remington shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to cartridge development, platform offered, models discontinued etc?

The 6mm (.244) and the slow twist barrels.
The 6.5 Rem mag and the 18" barrel "guide gun."
Varmint series rifles that offer Win chamberings but not Rem chamberings. (.243 vs 6mm etc.)
No .260 varmint guns.
M788s discontinued in favor of,....?
The 870's "replacement."
The list is longer but I'll leave it there.

They've had some very successful offerings, but their boneheaded moves are right up there with "new Coke."

Nothing new here folks, move along please,...
Old 07-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
Some of the great moves the company that owns Remington has made was buying Bushmaster, Buying Remington, Buying Dakota Arms, and buying Marlin. You have all the way from High end to middle range and then the low end with H&R. Something for everyone. But there are some people that are messing with things in the middle that ought to have their head examined.
Sounds like, jack of all trades...master of none.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
Remington in the last few years have been changing their direction considerably. They so far have made some huge blunders as far as I can see. Some of these failures are the 105 CTI and a butt ugly pump gun I cannot remember the model of to replace the 870 which is purely stupid in my eyes.

I believe you are referring to the 887. The only one I had any experience with, I spent more time taking it apart to try and get it to function than I did shooting. If you retract the fore end too hard, it will jam into that position until you remove the trigger group to unphuk it.

I realize that a sample of one is not really a valid test, but it was enough to make me decide to keep my hard-earned shekels and continue using my 870. If I'm going to pay a lot of money for a new pump-action, I'll opt for an Ithaca model 37.