Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Remington Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 11:42 PM

Look what remington did to the Mark X. Took a $250 barreled action and but a Boyd laminate on it and sell it wholesale for $500. This tells me that it's a business tactic, and not the result of economic realities of production.

Like he said above, we are whining.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc View Post
Look what remington did to the Mark X. Took a $250 barreled action and but a Boyd laminate on it and sell it wholesale for $500. This tells me that it's a business tactic, and not the result of economic realities of production.
They are ALL $250 barreled actions - what do you think a Rem 700 barreled action cost... less than $150!
When you send them in for repairs, they just throw them in the crusher, cuz they are too cheap to make, to waste time repairing.

LRH member #23
Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

I can by a Predator for what it costs to make a Remmy a good action for my purposes and in the end I have a Predator not a Remmy.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Bronze Member

I just bought a Remington Sendero II in 300 Ultra Mag. I paid $979 for it.

I know it was a bit high compared to some interenet prices but it was in my local shop kinda out here in th emiddle of nowhere....

I can tell you this....Remington is going downhill.
The trigger pull was at 7.9 pounds!
The flutes on the barrel were actually sharp enough to cut your skin if you held the rifle by the barrel and let the weight of it slide downward thru your hands.
The rear reciever screw was sticking up about .080 of an inch, and actually had a sharp burr on it.
The Sendero II has a polished stainless finish. Right in the middle of the stamping "Remington" it looked as if some slipped and messed up the finish in a spot about 3/8'' of an inch wide.

Overall I am not impressed. For a $1000 rifle I expected more.

I dont mind tinkering with things, so I fixed all the problems myself. I deburred all of the flutes, worked over the trigger. Trimmed and deburred the rear screw and stripped the whole thing down and gave it a good glass beading. So now it looks like the original Senderos........Back when they made decent guns!

I feel like I should send Remington the bill for finishing their shoddy work....
Old 09-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Remington prices

I haven't bought a Remington rifle in 3-4 years except to use as a donor. When I quote a price for a custom rifle on a Remington action I always include the cost of truing the receiver face and lapping the locking lugs, with the warning that it may need more work than that. On newer guns, I also include an aftermarket trigger to replace the crappy factory trigger. I have seen rifles with rust in the joint on both sides of the recoil lug. Two rifles had been belt sanded on the face of the receiver before they were blued; One took .0055" to clean up the gouges and crooked face, the other one only took .004" to clean up. One had a huge burr between the receiver face and recoil lug ??? I didn't record how much it took to clean up. I take pictures and tell people I have "dirty pictures". The bottom lug on one long action had never touched the locking shoulder in the receiver. Many have less than 20% contact and most of them are uneven.

In spite of all this, I like to build on Remington actions. Cleaned up, they make fine rifles, capable of phenomenal accuracy.

My point? Unless a customer has a donor action; at todays prices, instead of $500-600 for a true receiver that I furnish, they're looking at $700-900 with a new trigger. That's in the range for a custom action, and stops some of the folks that I really like to do work for.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShooter View Post
They are ALL $250 barreled actions - what do you think a Rem 700 barreled action cost... less than $150!
When you send them in for repairs, they just throw them in the crusher, cuz they are too cheap to make, to waste time repairing.

If you can get ME one for $150, I'll buy all you can send buddy good...
Old 09-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc View Post
If you can get ME one for $150, I'll buy all you can send buddy good...
It's what they cost the company. If you want to move to Illion NY, you can work for Rem and get all the cheap rifles you want.

LRH member #23