Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Remington 5R 300WM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: Remington 5R 300WM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogPSD View Post
Nice, I think you'll be very happy with it. Sorry can't help with the brake
question, don't have one, but I have heard good things about JP Precision brakes.
Once I get it setup and shooting I will post and let you know how it does, now if I could just find some Brass, and 215,s.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Greyfox, The trigger is my biggest issue, I will probably put a jewel in it the day I pick it up. I have never shot a mil spec heard a lot of good things about them. I was not even aware they made them in a 300WM till I seen this sitting on the shelf. On the price he is selling to me at his cost because I help him out a lot and never charge him anything, so every now and then he shoots me a pretty good deal. Any suggestions on a load ie. powder I pretty much know I'm trying the berger 215's. thinking H1000 but not sure.
They produce them in both 308 and 300WM. I understand they are put together on the same machinery and specs as the M24's produced for the military contracts. They are not cataloged, and are made in limited numbers.I put a Jewel and a McMillan A5 stock on the rifles I use for competition. I had good luck being able to tune the stock triggers to a crisp 2.5 pounds that I like on my Milspec used for hunting. The were pre Mark X triggers though. Since mine are 308's I'm not familiar with 300WM load data. I will say that the longer throats on my 308's handle the heavy Bergers well. Since they are Mil Spec, I would think the 300 would shoot a load comparable to the Federal SMK 300WM match ammo very well. My 308's shoot factory Federal Match ammo into .5MOA. Better with hand loads. I think you will really like this rifle. I have been looking for one in 300WM.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

I'm looking forward to getting it going,I was going to have a 300 built but since this came available I'm going this route. I will save some money and if by chance it dosn't shoot will rebarrel and true action. I think I will be good to go though.