Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Rem VTR has arrived

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Rem VTR has arrived

My personal opinon...OUT FRIGGEN STANDING,this rifle was made for me,it is the first rifle I have owned or held that fits me out of the box,no alterations required.I topped it with a Bushnell Elite 10x with the mildot and target turrets,Harris swivel pod,Leupold 2 piece twist in base and rings.I Only got to shoot enough rounds tonight to get it zeroed at 100 and it was grouping VERY well,I put 5 shots in 1.5 inch with bulk FMJ off the hood of the truck before it was so dark I couldnt see the bullseye.It shoulders with ease,its light,the rubber inserts in the stock give me a rock solid grip for offhand shooting,the length is perfect,the action is smooth as teflon,the trigger is a bit heavy for me but that will be remedied tonight.I am seriously considering the mag conversion for 4 and 10 round magazines,I think it would be a nice addition to the tactical look and feel of the rifle as well as making PD hunting a blast 10X.This is my first 308 ,with the built in muzzle break its like shooting a 223,fun.I give it a 10/10 for a factory rifle and I am certian this will be a sub moa rifle with handloads,cant wait to get it bloody.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Great looking gun! Wild barrel!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

NONYA,

Congrates on the new Remington VTR rifle. Looks real nice and the barrel is pretty interesting. I have heard this rifle is performing well. I bet once you start reloading your own stuff, it will shoot 1/2 inch or lower groups.

The stock looks nice too, and the muzzle brake is a nice touch. With the muzzle brake, this little beauty is barly going to recoil. The muzzle brake will come in handy on those Pdog shoots. Have you decided on what bullets your going to use?

You have a 1-12 twist barrel, so I would suggest the 110grn V-Max or 125grn Ballistic Tip for Pdoggin. My friend uses a Remington 700 VLS in 308 Winchester. He uses it for squirrel, Pdog and coyote hunting. His rifle is pretty much stock, all he did was add a Jewel trigger to it. It shoots 1/2 inch groups all day long. His favorite bullet for vaminting, is the 110grn V-Max.

Here is what his load consist of;
1. Brass-Lapua
2. Powder-52grns Winchester 748
3. Primers-Federal 210 Match
4. Bullet-Hornady 110grn V-Max

He has a 26" barrel and his velocities, with the above load, are around 3250 to 3300fps. I highly recommend using the Lapua brass, it performes well and will make a difference in your accuracy. This is an excellent varmint load for shots out to 600 yards. It is very accurate and devasataing. I believe your barrel is 22" in length, so your velocity will be a little sower.

Your rifle and scope look awesome. Have fun huntng Pdogs with your new rig. Report back on how she shoots and let me know if the load above works.

Wildcat
Old 02-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

Thanx for the load data Wildcat,i plan on a light load (110-125) for varmits and yotes and a 150 gr load for BG,ill probably go with a barnes TSX or mrx FOR THE 150S and something way cheaper for the light loads.I have a pile of 150 gr fmjs that I will shoot up for brak in and getting some trigger time in.i just adjusted the trigger down to where I like it,it really breaks nice,I doubt i will replace the trigger.Always wanted a 308 and i always wanted one of Remmys tactical style 700s,im a happy camper!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

Old 02-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

I see nothing but a factory rifle that someone has gone special effects on. Looks kinda rough around the edges in the pics. Not impressed at all.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

Some of us dont have $10,000 to spend on an ugly ass rifle like the one in your avatar(not impressed with your shiney pimp rifle),I have to settle for these factory made rifles that may not shoot as well as yours but kill more game than you ever dreamed of.Poooor me.By special effects do you mean somthing like a stainless fluted barrel and a spiral cut bolt,or a plastic multicolored stock?

Last edited by NONYA; 02-17-2008 at 09:28 AM.