Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Reloading? - Bullets pulling out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Gold Member

Reloading? - Bullets pulling out

Stupid question for the day.

I am reloading for a Remington Sendero 300win mag. I am having a problem where periodically the bullet will pull out when I go to eject a live round from the gun. I have played with the crimping. I have brought the die down to the point where it distorts the case enough where it wont chamber. I back the die off just to the point where it does not distort the case. Even with this the bullets will still on occasion pull out.

New Remington brass, berger 185 vld hunting bullets.

Seating:
I put a bullet in an empty case and ran it into the lands - measures 3.655 OAL
The best groups came with a 3.611 OAL

What am I missing???
RMNS 8:28
Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reloading? - Bullets pulling out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Hunter View Post
Stupid question for the day.

I am reloading for a Remington Sendero 300win mag. I am having a problem where periodically the bullet will pull out when I go to eject a live round from the gun. I have played with the crimping. I have brought the die down to the point where it distorts the case enough where it wont chamber. I back the die off just to the point where it does not distort the case. Even with this the bullets will still on occasion pull out.

New Remington brass, berger 185 vld hunting bullets.

Seating:
I put a bullet in an empty case and ran it into the lands - measures 3.655 OAL
The best groups came with a 3.611 OAL

What am I missing???
Interesting ?

If the bullets are being pulled out then there is obviously something wrong and it is gripping
the bullet somehow.

If the bullet seating depth is to close or into the lands this is the most common cause.

If the free bore is smaller than the bullet (Free bore should be the exact diameter as the
bullet)it could be gripping the bullet causing this .

The only other thing that I can think of is that the expander plug/ball in the dies are to large.

The best way to check this is to buy some Cerrosafe from brownells and make a casting of your
chamber. (Cerrosafe will remain dimensionally stable for about 24 hours so be sure and
measure it soon after casting the chamber) and it can be melted with hot water or a hair drier.

Use a cotton wad about 1 to2'' below the throat and cast about half of the chamber (It will
come out easier).

J E CUSTOM