Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Recomended Reading List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Recomended Reading List

Of the hunting/shooting trinkets Santa leaves in my sock each year, books are always one of my favorites to get (I'm not only a gun nut & redneck, but a bookworm too).

I'd like to start this thread on "Recommended Reading", I have many that I would recommend, but will just start with the recent additions from Santa. I'd really like to see what ya'll are reading..

#1 - "Modern Muzzleloading for Todays Whitetails" by Ian McMurchy. A great read and full of "how to" & "tech details" on in-line. I recommend it!!! Highly!!!! (Great Job Ian!!!!!) Now I know something about in-lines...

#2 - "Jack O'Conner, The legendary life of America's Greatest Gunwriter" by Robert Anderson. A biography on old Jack himself, very interesting insight, currently in the middle of reading. If ya dig Jack, get it...

#3 - "Trophies of the Heart" by Russell Thornberry - If you crave the northwoods moose hunt, this one is for you. I am reading a chapter a night, dang hard to put it down... I highly recommend this one too!!

Whats on your nightstand????

Member #92
Old 01-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Recomended Reading List

A good read most of us have seen...

"Death in the long grass" Capstick (entertaining to say the least... drunk elephant stories and other "you won't believe this" types)

"The House Of God" medical student type reading material... a must read for anyone with a medical (patient care, ER specifically) background. Others may not care for it too much...

"The memory book" Harry Lorraine & Jerry Lucas. About how to remember things... never too late to remember stuff..

At least one of the Robert Fulghum books... "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" or " It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It" Great little stories, funny and good... Under "inspirational" but should be under "life like it really is"
Old 01-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

"Hell, I Was There", Elmer Keith

"The Man-Eaters of Tsavo", Lt. Col. J.H. Patterson

"African Rifles & Cartridges", John Taylor

"Beyond the Abyss", Arthur Conan Doyle (an historical and sociological analysis of 19th life on the East End waterfront)

"Desert Solitaire", Edward Abbey
Old 01-07-2004, 12:27 AM

The CORPS series - WEB Griffin
Brotherhood of War Series - WEB Griffin
eyes of the eagle - gary linderer
eyes behind the lines - gary linderer

if you like military stuff
Old 01-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

IMHO:

1. "Marine Sniper" the (and I mean THE) definitive book on long range 'hunting' - a MUST read - for the shooting & stalking techniques if nothing else.

2. "On Killing" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. Colonel Dave is an outstanding speaker & the foremost thinker & teacher on violence issues in the world today. Very funny guy in person too.

3. "Band of Brothers" by the late, great Stephen Ambrose. The movie series was pleasantly very close to the book. U.S. history at its finest!

4. "The Blond Knight of Germany", an epic about Erich Hartmann, German Luftwaffe combat pilot who shot down over 300 enemy aircraft. Good stuff on a hunting mindset & will to live in spite of tremendous odds.

5. "The Art of the Rifle" by Jeff Cooper, excellent stuff on shooting & hunting in a variety of disciplines.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Timeless shared wisdom and great entertainment..
"The Old Man and the Boy"
&
"The Old Man's Boy Grows Older".. By Ruark..
.. IMO, it was great medicine for properly adjusting my perspective on what's really important.. d:^) JiNC
Old 01-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

"A Varmint Hunters Odyssey" By Steve Hanson, an absolute great book. I would recomend it to anyone interested in long range shooting, or not. Also enjoyed "Precision Shooting at 1000 Yards", "The Ultimate Sniper", and "Handloading for Competition" by Glen Zediker, a very deep book, but full of great info.