Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

recomended palm polit/PDA's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Gold Member

recomended palm polit/PDA's

What palm polit does everyone use. is there one recomended for the nightforce program? thanks huntinfool18
Old 11-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Gerald Perry, designer of Exbal (which to my understanding is what Nightforce uses) is very clear in reccomending the use of a Pocket PC based PDA and not a Palm based PDA. You can get 'em off ebay pretty cheap used. You don't need the newest 'rocket' to run Exbal. For what it's worth, I'm using a Dell Axim X30, but the options are nearly endless. Hope this helps. Email Gerald from his site--http://www.perry-systems.com/

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

PDA for Dummies could come in handy here.

Could you tell me what is the difference between the Axim x5, x30, x50 etc.? Would they all work just as well for Exbal?
Old 11-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

I think the higher the number the faster and more sophisticated the device. I think Gerald told me he uses the X50. The glitch with using Dell Pocket PC's (PPC) is that appartently Dell and Microsoft has a bit of a spitting match some time ago and Dell doesn't make PPC's anymore. Mine were way out of warranty and Dell still helped me quite a bit initially getting mine set up, etc. Talk to Gerald, but I think any of those should run Exbal fine--although each has a different operating system, I believe. Should probably try to get the newest operating system (newest PPC) you can. I had a Palm (Palm OS has literally not been updated for years and is one reason Gerald didn't like them.) beforehand and I don't think I would go back to Palm after having the Pocket PC. Not very experienced with all this and no expert, just relating some of my experience. Hope it helps. Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-18-2007, 01:14 AM
Gold Member

I just went on ebay and got a used 1910 HP pocket PC. Cost about $ 50 buck and I was off and racing. You don't need a fancy one . Spend your cash on your shooter. Just make sure you buy one with enough inbuilt memory, I think 32 meg ??

Cheers

DUH
Old 11-18-2007, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

On Monday February 7th, 2005, I received an email from Mr. Perry answering some of my questions and Here is a quote of what he answered about Axim PDA's

Quote:

Gerald Perry <gperry@perry-systems.com> wrote:
You can order Exbal by logging onto the web site and the clicking on the "Order Exbal" button.
For hand held applications, I recommend the Dell Axim which use the Pocket PC version of Exbal.
All of the Axims will work fine.
thanks,
Gerald L. Perry
www.Perry-Systems.com
phone: 361-584-1424

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

When I bought my pocket version of Exbal from Nightforce,I called Nightforce and they recomended the Dell Axim 30. So I purchased the 30......