Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Range bag or Chest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Bronze Member

Range bag or Chest

It has come to my attention that when I go to the range to shoot I have a lot of junk. I have to sometimes make three trips from the truck to the benches. I am not looking for a wheel barrow or a cart to haul stuff. I am thinking more about a machinist chest or a range bag. What do you people use to carry your primary and secondary equipment in? I live close to where I shoot so it isn't like I reload there, but none the less it's amazing the amount of equipment you use.

WS
Old 03-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: Range bag or Chest

I just used a day pack that I would take for varmint hunting to the range. I have seen two things that might work either a Rubbermaid action packer or a Stanley tool chest on wheels that was also plastic/rubber.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:30 PM
SPONSOR

I use a range bag. It is basically a 5 pocket duffle bag. Has my shells, hearing protection, rests, shooting glasses, etc.

Then, I have my shooting box from Cabelas, that has a fold-up gun rest for cleaning and holds my jags, rags, wipes, bore guide, sweets, jb's, etc.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Bronze Member

I use a big rubbermaid bin. I can put all my sand bags, spotting scope, ammo. I am in the same boat as you and I got tired of the three trips to the car before I was ready to shoot. Now I throw it all in my bin and grab the handles and make one trip. Plus it was cheap. just my .02
Old 03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Whopper Stopper:

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have to go to a range where I have to pack my stuff to a bench. I can drive right to where we shoot, but that's the advantage of shooting on private land. I usually have the back of my truck full and if two of us go we then take a second truck to make it easier.

The back of my truck has a compartment for the fold up bench, gun cases on each side and the top center section slides out for easy access. The top center section holds a big soft gear bag and two good sized hard boxes/cases with tools, cleaning gear etc. The slide out center section has a compartment that holds the front rest, rear bags etc. so they can't move around. Usually on top of the gun cases on each side is where the chronograph, tripods, gun vise etc. goes. By the time all of the chairs, target frames, chronograph etc. get put on top its pretty full. If I take the 4'x8' folding frame setup for long range drop testing it gets really crowded in my poor little canopy.

The canopy is always full and the rear seat is also loaded down with electronics and optics and somewhere in the whole thing there is always a cooler of ice water or something to drink. If it's an all day thing, then there's lunch to pack in some hole also.

I guess in answer to your question about what I carry my primary and secondary equipment in......it's my crowded truck.

The second truck makes the bulky items like sun shade etc. easier to manage. You wouldn't think that just two guys could take two trucks of stuff out just to shoot for the day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

You might not have noticed it but I think someone has gone and stolen the back off of your chair. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] You might want to call the sheriff and report it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

That's an old oak chair that's been laying around my shop for a few years and the back was all broken up. Instead of fixing it I just cut the broken part of the back off and it "stacks" in the back of my truck just right. Don't think the sheriff would be to sympathetic with me if I turned it in as being stolen. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You just have to remember that's one chair you don't lean back in. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]