Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

raccoon problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

raccoon problem

I have a raccoon problem on my farm does any one know how to trap them? I have leg hold traps. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:36 PM
GNERGY

Re: raccoon problem

Google Conibear box trap and see for your self how to make one. My friend is a nusance trapper back in Ohio and he let me borrow one to get rid of some raccoons out of a cabana house behind the fitness club I was working at and we caught one everyday for 15 days. just used a piece of hotdog for bait. Worked like a million bucks.
tarey
Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Personally never had much luck as a kid with leg holds on coons. Haven't tried it since.

Had good luck with very large live traps in the barn though. Baiting the pan with COB (corn oats and barley with some molasses).

Dont know what I'd of done with a skunk in that live trap though! Luckily only ever caught what I was after which was nuisance coons.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys my buddy has a live trap I used to catch skunks,the trick to get them out, with out getting sprayed is to open the door stand the trap up so the skunk is on the ground with trap over him, tie a rope to the trap,back up jurk the trap off the skunk and shotgun him before he can get his tail up.Steep learning curve.I hadnt though of it for coons,Have a Great Day.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

I use live traps but a smart coon will turn the trap over to get at the bait, so I use bent wire stakes to hold it down and wire the bait can into the front of the trap so the animal has to work at it and trips the trigger. Never fails.
tc
Old 10-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Coons are not all that hard, check your local laws and such. Take a stake and drive it in the ground at an angle, wobble it around and pull it out then drip some fish oil or drop dog food down it or what ever they are coming in to eat and bed the trap 6in back or so and you'll nail them. If you stick to sweet stuff you'll catch much fewer skunks or dogs. Coons are very strong so make sure they can not reach anything that they can grab and use to pull themselves out of the trap!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Why not just shoot them? It's a lot more fun!