Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Quiet Muzzle Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

Quiet Muzzle Brakes

Hi All,

Can anybody give me some info on who makes the most quite muzzle brake as well as most effective for recoil control.

I have looked at the following sites and don't know anything about them. Can anybody give me pro's and con's about any of these brakes:

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/features.htm (Vais Brake)
http://www.gentrycustom.com/muzzlebrake.html (Gentry Brake)
http://www.sgyrifles.com/html/reasse..._building.html (SGY 11 degree brake)
http://www.hollandguns.com/mbrakes.shtml (Holland Brake)

Thanks guys,
Vic
Old 02-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: Quiet Muzzle Brakes

R.L. Matthews of Calhoun,Ga. makes a very effective brake it
is not as loud as most brakes I have been exposed to. But I honestly haven't heard all brakes for comparison.Just another variable for you to consider.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Generally speaking, brake efficiency and quiet firing run opposite each other. One negates the other. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Silver Member

Except for a Suppressor

A Suppressor can reduce noise and recoil at the same time. Not legal in all states and more expensive.
Suppressor VS Muzzle brake
Old 02-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

What VH said.

I prefer the Holland but, have not used them all though. It's very effective.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 AM

I've been building custom rifles with my dad since i was 10,I'm 33 now. Honestly most of the rifles we have built don't have brakes but they're all. small caliber heavy barrel rifles. in yhe past 10 yearswe've built a lot of ackley's from 22-250 to a 257-STW and they all have brakes and jave different styles of brake the 257-STW is a custom montana and came with a radial ported brake and it sets completely still when fired as well as my Ruger 77 custom 25-06 ackley but it has a varga tactical side port brake ans sets still when fired. My personal opinion is JP'S howitzer style and vais makes very good brakes but the most important part of any brake is installation,a good gunsmith can put a brake on and not effect accuracy. I've installed enough to know the straighter the brake /bore the better. All that's a little off subject but truth is all brakes create noise around the shoiter except one I've found its angle ported from the front/muzzle and the aound and percussion go away from you and its quieter than a rifle without a brake. but not as much recoil reduction so its up to you what you choose just be sure that a great gunsmith or someone that has done a lot of brake installations. Ya'll keep shooting and pushing the limits of shooting distance, last year I. pulled a 600 yard shot an a deer and didn't film it this year I've got a camera and am going for an 800+ shot with my 25-06 ackley,I'll let ya'll know if it happens and where you can view it.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:28 AM

I've been building custom rifles with my dad since i was 10,I'm 33 now. Honestly most of the rifles we have built don't have brakes but they're all. small caliber heavy barrel rifles. in yhe past 10 yearswe've built a lot of ackley's from 22-250 to a 257-STW and they all have brakes and jave different styles of brake the 257-STW is a custom montana and came with a radial ported brake and it sets completely still when fired as well as my Ruger 77 custom 25-06 ackley but it has a varga tactical side port brake ans sets still when fired. My personal opinion is JP'S howitzer style and vais makes very good brakes but the most important part of any brake is installation,a good gunsmith can put a brake on and not effect accuracy. I've installed enough to know the straighter the brake /bore the better. All that's a little off subject but truth is all brakes create noise around the shoiter except one I've found its angle ported from the front/muzzle and the aound and percussion go away from you and its quieter than a rifle without a brake. but not as much recoil reduction so its up to you what you choose just be sure that a great gunsmith or someone that has done a lot of brake installations. Ya'll keep shooting and pushing the limits of shooting distance, last year I. pulled a 600 yard shot an a deer and didn't film it this year I've got a camera and am going for an 800+ shot with my 25-06 ackley,I'll let ya'll know if it happens and where you can view it.