Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Question for Kirby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Question for Kirby

Kirby
I was reading a post in the specialty handgun section where you mentioned you were thinking about ordering a 6.5 wssm reamer. What specs are you thinking of, especially shoulder angle and neck diameter?

I have a rifle in 6.5 wssm based on the 25 wssm case (30* shoulder) with a .303 neck which requires light neck turning and I'm kicking around a custom pistol of some sort in the same caliber, just don't really want to have to neck turn for it.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Old 12-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Question for Kirby

Winmagman,

I have done the neck turning thing enough that I do not like it much anymore. As such, I design my reamers so that they are min spec to an unturned neck. Generally around 1.5 thou total clearance. This way if a customer wanted to take a light clean up cut on the neck they could and still have a quality neck fit.

Otherwise, dimentionally it would be identical to a 25 WSSM reamer with perhaps a bit tighter body section but thats it. Nothing exotic here. The idea would be to make a round that you could cold form brass for and load full tilt loads out of virgin case with fine accuracy.

I think in an XP or similiar strength handgun, the WSSM case has as much if not more value then in a rifle. Just my opinion of course but in the shorter barreled handgun world, usible barrel length is the name of the game and the WSSM would be very hard to beat.

I also have played with a design using the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullet and making a BR type case off this round. Would be equally impressive in an XP.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com