Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Progress in the public arena of long range hunting ethics discussion!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 AM
PUBLISHER

Progress in the public arena of long range hunting ethics discussion!

I only subscribe to a couple of print magazines these days because of all the good content available on the internet -- like that one online magazine site called. LongRangeHunting.com

In this month's edition of Deer and Deer Hunting they mentioned that in their online forum there is a video on a 1,022 yard kill shot on a deer. I wondered how that would go on a mostly bow hunting forum so I went over and found the discussion topic.

I am rather pleased at the reaction over there and I hope it is an indication of educational progress being made on the subject. Sure there are naysayers on the thread but only about half or less as many as in 2001 when I started this forum.

Here is the link to the 1022 yard shot forum discussion

Please don't go over there and make us look bad by arguing with the relatively low number of naysayers. The video has lots of things wrong with serious long range technique, by the way. Ranging with a scope instead of using a range finder, shooting at the deer while it is walking.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 06-16-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Progress in the public arena of long range hunting ethics discussion!

Pretty cool Len. Thanks for posting.
This was my favorite comment on the whole page!

''If'n y'all want to poke at the bear for real, here's a link:

Long Range Hunting
''

I like this guy.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 06-16-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

I should point out (for those that havent read the discussion) that this guy also said that there were folks here with the proper practice and equipment. He wasnt bashing it.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

In my opinion I would rather the deer be standing still when I shot at it ooops now that I've thought about it i've shot them running just not @ 1000 YRDS .
Did anyone else notice the wind flag to the right of the deer ? I wonder if they had it near a huge pile of corn just kidding

Bigbuck
Old 06-17-2010, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

The acceptance of long range hunting has been helped by several things. one of which is this forum.

The major equipment manufacturers have figured out that there is a lucrative market niche for long range gear and that we will pay good money for specialized stuff. This brings equipment to the open market where it is seen by regular hunters who cannot resist a new toy. In particular as in the video, scope manufacturers are helping this along. Also, the bullet makers like Berger, are a big assistance and they openly advertise the long range capability of their bullets ( That's how I got my free hat).

The internet and video cameras have helped a lot because people really like to watch these videos and they are taken as "proof". Along with this are the people like Shawn Carlock who produce videos commercially and that gets to a wide audience.

TV shows like BOTW brought reality (edited somewhat) right into peoples living room.

One other weird thing has helped and perhaps only a few of us will recognize it. Post Vietnam, there was a lot of anti-military and anything to do with war, sentiment in the country. If you had served in any type of elite organization you were pretty much an outcast in society. Desert Storm seemed to bring military service back into public acceptance, and slowly, the elite units became more visible and more accepted. The hunt for Osama bin Laden brought elite units to the public's attention on a regular basis and there is now a lot of open discussion in the press of snipers and their role in warfare and they are praised and regarded as true warriors rather than the old view of backshooting cowards. This has "glamorized" elite service warfare and there is a lot more public acceptance of long range shooting at people and consequently at animals.

I think the major obstacles at this time is that a lot of hunters hunt the same old places the same old ways and are successful at it and are not going to change. They defend their methods as good and correct methods. Some hunters would change but don't know how and can't quite get started.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Miller Outdoors

Interesting read.

I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 AM
PUBLISHER

Jim, well said!

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors