Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Problem with trespassers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Gold Member

Problem with trespassers.

I realy hate to dry my laundry on this web page but we have a farm, well we call it our camp near Shaftsburg Mich..lots of Deer and other small game, damned people keped pulling off sighns,so we painted the trees with bright orange paint. they come around this time of the year, and just after the first week, the pine trees get cut and stolen.spring we find dixie cups and when we look around we find Pot growing. one year we were shooting in a open lane that is between our pines and out came a setter and some guy with a shot gun..walking through the lane we have for shooting, its just over 400yards. boy did we yell at this guy. The old man jumped on his quad along with his son and bitched him out, pointed the sighns and warned him to never come back.
but every year we find tree stands. shoot we have over 15 comercial stands we removed and we tell the owners if they wont them back the Stat Police have them.

I am sick of this. We all spend a few grand every year to keep this area for hunting and its getting to a boiling point. I have been talking to the guys and this year we are fileing charges.

Am I the only person with this problem?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: Problem with trespassers.

Just so I don't forget..about 30 years ago Turkeys were re-introduced into Michigan and
they also brought in the black necked Phesents(from china). we have taken a beating trying to keep the ring necked Phesents (red)and we worked with the DNR making fenced areas with net roofs.we actualy had to leave a dog out next to the fence because Ralph's dad, AKA the Old Man cought some guy trying to catch a Turkey with a long handled fish net.
this is how stupid some people are. he was lucky he didn't get has ass kicked or shot.

Talk to me.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Question: how long does it take the State Police and or local Sheriff too get to you holding you may try to make a Citizens Arrest of the trespassers and or find out if it is legal to do so OR just become a DEPUTY SHERIFF and take them right to the Justice of the Peace and have them fined and split the money with the JP.
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

In Texas our GW makes short work of those types of people. Have called in several over the years---poaches are scum.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Gold Member

To call in a trespasser the police would need an hour they are that under stafed.
we are just gonna start taking photos /video and ask to be re-embused for the work/lost time wages and for the violation.I think its $1500.00 so its goten to this point.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
To call in a trespasser the police would need an hour they are that under stafed.
we are just gonna start taking photos /video and ask to be re-embused for the work/lost time wages and for the violation.I think its $1500.00 so its goten to this point.
That was my thoughts too. Perhaps IR trail cameras, strategically placed and hidden, pointing at the signs or areas of concern. Maybe even a "sting or stakeout" with night vision or spot lights, loud speaker and a video camera.......try to catch them red handed and on video. If you can get their liscense plates by using such methods, then it doesn't even matter if you can actually hold them there till the law shows up or not...you'd have enough evidence to turn in and let the law run them down. If you catch some red handed, they may be more than willing to pay you their "fine" rather than risk the alternative..
Old 09-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

Our place in VA is "only" 200 acres, but bigger than the entire development that borders it. We found kids smoking pot at our river, and seen signs of hunters, haven't actually busted a poacher, yet. We just spent high 5 digits fencing the place.. Of someone climbs over the fence to screw around, we will file charges. I'll have to see what the rule is about detaining them. I'm sure I can find a nice mud puddle to seat them in for the hr or so till the sheriff comes to pick them up