Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Pretty new to LR need some advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Pretty new to LR need some advice.

OK, I have limited experience with shooting past 500 yards. But I have been doing it since spring with a custom barreled 30-378 and the new 338 Lapua Joe built me. Both have 1/4 moa turrets the Lapua has an NXS. and I have the NF program in a pda. I bought a Kestrel, and a Swaro rangefinder. So enugh about the equipment. I think I have what it takes.

I have been practising at least once a week and I am very comfortable on making a one shot kill out to 1000 or maybe a bit more under conditions I am use to, (light wind)

Here is where I am concerned. My NF cosine indicator will be here this week. I live where up and down hill shots are not common and I probably will not be able to practise that much. What is your opinion on just entering the cosine in the NF program and taking a shot out to 1000 on game? Can I trust it? Should I try to varify it first? I will take the time to confirm POI at the new hunting altitude but not sure I will be able to check extreme up and down angles.

I am 49 and been hunting all my life. I like to think I do it right and pride myself in clean kills.

You guys that shoot extreme angles alot, give me your thoughts.

Thanks! Jeff
Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pretty new to LR need some advice.

If you are confident in the range and the wind read, I'd just put the angle info into the PDA and trust it. The mathematics of angle's is not as prone to errors and subjective assessment like Wind and Range can be especially when you are using an ACI.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Thats good to hear AJ. That is kinda what I was planing to do. But I am growing very fond of Long Range shooting and I don't want to spoil it with a poor hit. I want them to drop.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 09-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

There are a couple ways to 'estimate' the change in POI that happens due to angles ( they are both poor substitues for a PDA). The PDA and Exbal will calculate the change in departure angle and time of flight and give you VERY good info. If your load/rifle and drop chart agree when shooting level, you should have no surprises shooting at angles if you use a PDA and exbal.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, got a Dell Axim x50v and the NightForce program. I stghted it at 700 then turned the elevation turret back down what the program said. Then reset the knob at Zero. Then checked it at 550, 430, 320 and 200. All dead on. Then did trajectory validations for 1000 it was about 3" high. Since I have logged many shots from 500 to 1000 or a bit more. All done with my new rangefinder. I am very confident on my first shot at these distances under good conditions. If the wind is blowing to hard, I am a hunter, I will get closer.

Jeff
Old 09-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, you're ready for Montana.

I would expect that if you miss that first shot LR at a big game animal you will be totally amazed. If it is a miss that's the perfect way to feel.

Sooner or later it'll happen.

I'd say that you are more than just prepared.

Good luck and good shootin'.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Yep, you're ready for Montana.

I would expect that if you miss that first shot LR at a big game animal you will be totally amazed. If it is a miss that's the perfect way to feel.

Sooner or later it'll happen.

I'd say that you are more than just prepared.

Good luck and good shootin'.
Exactly the way I feel. Well said!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!