Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

pressure point in new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

pressure point in new rifle

just picked up my new VLS in 243 WIN. and noticed it has a pressure point about halfway down the barrle should i remove it and make the barrle free floated or leave it shoot it and then decide thanks JIM
Old 03-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: pressure point in new rifle

Jim,
Here is my opinion....
I have had conversation with firm believers in pressure bedding and I agree that often times you do see good results from pressure bedding while shooting groups,this is because the pressure on the barrel from the stock dampens inconsistent vibrations but in my opinion it gives a false sence of security as I feel your rifle is much more subject to point of impact change during hunting situations especially here in ND where weather can change drastically from day to day. My recommendation would be to remove the pressure point regardless of weather it is shooting acuratley with it. because what good is an acurate rifle if it doesn't hit where you aim. I would rather have a rifle that shot a 2" group than a rifle that shot 1/4" groups but point of impact changed and your 1/4" group was 6" high or to the right the next day.
Also a pressure bedded barrel will shoot drastically different from prone off a bi-pod to shooting with the sling to shooting off hand.
What I usually tell people is that pressure bedding a barrel is like treating the symptoms but is not the cure. Barrel vibration is not bad if it is consistent. Idealy I would free float the barrel,pillar bed the action with two aluminum pillars and a good skim bedding, removing the wood 1/2" behind the recoil lug and replacing it with epoxy. Then if the barrel still doesn't shoot I believe it is due to a crooked chamber starting the bullet wobbling down the barrel or stress in the barrel causing inconsistent vibrations which in turn I would say bye,bye barrel.
hope this helps,
308nate