Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Prairie dogs escape predatory status

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Prairie dogs escape predatory status

That is sad about the distemper. Mother Nature is a harsh lady and shows little mercy on a species once their numbers get low.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

squaw fish , bob ?
shoulda just let em die off, the san juan trout fishing is doing just fine without em..
i've never seen one, and frankly, could care less if i ever did.

i'm not advocating killing everything, let god sort them out thing..
but, let's just get real, sometimes, there's just things that need to be left alone or left alone to just go away, cause they're just not worth fighting over..
squaw fish, ferrets, these are 2 that should have just been left alone, and let the ecosystem get along just the way it was before trying to save em. shooting and fishing..

where did you live back then ? fourcorners area ? i'm in aztec.

or are you still living around here ? i see your profile,,,,
well, if your ever out this way again, stop in and we'll go fishing or rat shooting.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Sam,Im not sure how they poison the p'dogs in WI,but its not done from airplanes here,and no, plague does not come from the pellets used to control the p'dogs.There are several forms of plague p'dogs contract the most devistating of which is bubonic plague,which is contracted from the bite of a flea,as are most others.

[/ QUOTE ]
We don't have any PDs in WI, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] They have been feeding you that line about plaque for years. I can take you to places (Natl. Grasslands) in WY where they say the plaque got the dogs but cross the line fence on private land the dogs run wild. So you are telling me that flea doesn't cross line fences in WY. You should do a little research on how they are poisoning dogs with airplanes.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
let god sort them out thing

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have been happy to let God sort it out; however, the power companies, coal company and Bureau of Rec wanted to sort it on God's behalf and I didn't see any evidence of God communicating his wishes to them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I was in Salt Lake City from 1975 through 1980. I got lucky and drew out a buffalo tag in the Henry Mountains in 1980. Hence the name "Buffalobob".
Old 02-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

I never heard of anybody using air planes so I would like to hear about what you know. On our place in Texas we have experienced the effects of the plague but it seems short lived due the p-dogs ability to repopulate very quickly.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sam,Im not sure how they poison the p'dogs in WI,but its not done from airplanes here,and no, plague does not come from the pellets used to control the p'dogs.There are several forms of plague p'dogs contract the most devistating of which is bubonic plague,which is contracted from the bite of a flea,as are most others.

[/ QUOTE ]
We don't have any PDs in WI, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] They have been feeding you that line about plaque for years. I can take you to places (Natl. Grasslands) in WY where they say the plaque got the dogs but cross the line fence on private land the dogs run wild. So you are telling me that flea doesn't cross line fences in WY. You should do a little research on how they are poisoning dogs with airplanes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant honestly claim to know how they manage the dogs in WY.I do know here the pellets are stuffed down the holes because they are just as deadly to to other species as they are the p'dogs.The p'dogs eat it,get sick,crawl back in thier holes and its the end.In this way birds of prey and other animals (except snakes maybe) arent feeding on the poisoned carcasses.Its not my wish to argue with you about plague mortality rates in p'dog colonies,but I do know for a fact that the Pine Ridge Indian Res. (along with the Rosebud) has no p'dog management (probably mainly because the the tribal budget isnt big enough to allow it) on tribal land other than hunting and that the population south of Red Shirt Table was wiped out by the plague.
I cant begin to understand why WY would poison by airplane as it would affect many other species,I would think.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

In the Northwest, Squawfish has been changed to the politically correct, "Northern Pike Minnow", and there's a substantial bounty on them in the Columbia River in Oregon and Washington.