Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

The Practice of Scoping.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: The Practice of Scoping.

17-year-old admits to shooting, killing Malta teen while deer hunting

Unfortunately and with sincerest sympathy to the family this type of incident can result in the worst. In this state it is a crime. If someone points a rifle or any firearm at you within a distance you feel your life is in danger you can request charges. Is this any different than taking your rifle downtown and pointing it into a crowd at 150 yards to try to find your friend? Ultimately it will be up to the individual "victim" to pursue this issue. I would.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Gold Member

Thats why i get as far as possible away from the public. Too many %$#% out there.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

This used to happen to me all the time in PA and often less than 100 yds and it just made my blood boil. It has happened here in Montana too but the crowds are a lot less and longer disatnces between parties usually so I generally feel a lot more safe. Most places I hunt anymore I see very few hunters during the course of the day if any.

Not saying it's the right thing to do, but I have put my rifle up and scoped them right back so they get the point. sometimes it makes an impression and sometimes it doesn't. I have never walked up to any of these nimrods and confronted them and not sure if that would be a good idea or not.

If I were in Roy's position, I probably would have done exactly the same thing. What idiots....

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

He was scoped back and it clearly bothered him to see it done so quickly and with LR rig. My problem is that I am a scrapper and don't mind throwing down if the stakes are high enough. I spent enough time in the cage/mat/arena etc to know that things don't always go the way you want so I try and keep a level head if possible. I have chased a guy down with my glock on the mountain once. He didn't really like having it stuck in his face from 2 feet away but as I explained to him.....there is absolutely no difference in what I am doing vs what he was doing. He felt differently but I didn't care. He pointed a loaded rifle at me from 150-200 yards away and I pointed a locked and loaded pistol at his face from 2 feet. I still don't see the difference.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
have never walked up to any of these nimrods and confronted them and not sure if that would be a good idea or not.....
I vote "not a good idea". Seems like a lot more bad than good is likely to result. You pretty much already know that you are dealing with someone who is at best a moron, at worst an irrational, degenerate moron. Odds are too high that something real bad will happen for my tastes.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I vote "not a good idea". Seems like a lot more bad than good is likely to result. You pretty much already know that you are dealing with someone who is at best a moron, at worst an irrational, degenerate moron. Odds are too high that something real bad will happen for my tastes.

This is good point and the reason I started the thread. I need options. I got out of general season hunting for a reason and have a reason to be back. I love taking those kids so I need to learn to deal with it. I have a lot more to lose these days as well so, the new tool, as mentioned earlier to me, is to use the camera. I have a great little video camera that I pack everywhere.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
This is good point and the reason I started the thread. I need options. I got out of general season hunting for a reason and have a reason to be back. I love taking those kids so I need to learn to deal with it. I have a lot more to lose these days as well so, the new tool, as mentioned earlier to me, is to use the camera. I have a great little video camera that I pack everywhere.
The camera is a good idea. It's a tough subject in general, and I waffle on the best way to handle it. In a very common-sense way, confronting/scaring/defending is the "right" thing to do, but the real-life implications and outcomes are scary as hell to say the least.

Maybe make a big scene about shielding your kids (Secret Service style) and they'll realize what they are doing. Or pack a sign that says "Don't point your gun at my kids, A$$hole"

I sympathize in a big way - there is no good way to deal with "these kinds" of people. You back off and you have regret, you confront and you may have major, life-changing regret.

Good luck out there with your kids - there is nothing better. I hope the rest of your season goes the way it is supposed to go.