Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

The Positive Side of getting a 270 AM.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The Positive Side of getting a 270 AM.

Roy:

Take a deeeeep breath and repeat this many many times:

" Clicking is my friend.....Clicking is my friend....Clicking is my friend"

Clicking is the way to go. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Clicking using the vertical marks in the NP-R2 just gives you more flexibility. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Wildcat,

It will be worth the wait, I promise......

ss7mm,

I'm going to hang out with one of the clicker fellas one of these days to get a better feel for what goes on. I recognize that it is more precise but hell, I bore sighted the "Rock" , its tougher w/a 30" bore w/target in the shade but was on the back stop. Then made the adjustment exactly the correct amount in exactly the WRONG direction.

As far as accuracy goes this thing is starting where my efforts with the 338 ended. I think I'll make all head shots on those LR yotes this winter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Bronze Member

Roy,

Regarding you comment on the LH action - Craig Boddington published an article about shooting LH with a right hand action versus the safety of shooting the LH action. I know that they feel awkward (I have a LH 7mm Weatherby) but his point of contention was that it is a safety issue. A LH shooter with a RH action is looking into the bolt raceway and it you blow a primer there is a straight shot toward your face. I speak from experience on this, I bled like the proverbial stuck pig from a chunk of brass that escaped a push feed Winchester. Boddington's point was that if it blew in a LH action that you had all that metal between you and the gas/chunks of brass.

Just something to think about...

Craig Dodd in SE Idaho
Old 09-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Craig,

Point well taken.

I can't think of a good way out of the situation. A right hand bold and left hand port would be an OSHA approach but its the use of the right hand to feed the next round (think single shot here) that is the advantage.

This rifle appears to literally loaf along with any bullet in the 140/150 class. Also, I may have mellowed a bit from the velocity pushing of the past.......

BTW, elk are buglin' behind the house again.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Craig,

Point well taken.

I can't think of a good way out of the situation. A right hand bolt and left hand port would be an OSHA approach but its the use of the right hand to feed the next round (think single shot here) that is the advantage.

Just got to thinkin', that's my bad eye anyway......

This rifle appears to literally loaf along with any bullet in the 140/150 class. Also, I may have mellowed a bit from the velocity pushing of the past.......

BTW, elk are buglin' behind the house again.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:10 AM

Very nice! What critters do you plan on shooting with that hot rod?
Old 09-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

one deer a year and as many yotes as I can snipe. Throw in a jack rabit if one presents itself way out there, that's w/the 169s. Oh, an maybe a (oops better not say [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

With the 195s I'm figuring on an elk and the once in a lifetime moose.

That was the long answer.

Short answer: Everything!