Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Porcipine season is comming, how much $$$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Porcipine season is comming, how much $$$

The season for long range porcipine is upon us. I'm up to 9 this year. Who else hunts'm.

My biggest question is does anyone sell them? I heard they use the hair in Europe for shaveing brushes. Pay up to $20 per ounce (two ounces of hair per ave. porcipine) Heard the Native Americans use the Quills for art.

Does anybody know anything about these two markets?
Last year I killed a boatload and wondered if there is a strong demand.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Porcipine season is comming, how much $$$

I don't normally hunt them. To few and far between for me. I did hunt one down and kill it this last fall after my horse got a nose full of quills tho. I think that one cost me about 80 bucks for the vet visit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a dumb question. How exactly do you find a prickle pig? I don't know that I have ever seen one in the woods even though I know they are out there.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

I don't know. The one and only time I tried to find one he was in the first tree I looked in.( I hunted him down and killed him). I knew he was close cause he had just stuck my horse. I have seen quite a few in the woods but was all by accident. Didn't kill them cause I had no reason but it sounds like maybe there is a market.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

4ked and Cowboy, sorry I didn't get back sooner, I kinda lost track of things.

Central Wis is over run with porkys, last year my german wirehair got into one and I had to pull 30 quills out of her mouth and muzzle. That lead me to seek revenge. So in 04' I shot 107 of the little devils. I heard stories of there being a market for them, but have no contacts yet.

I hunt them by driving forest roads. As I go I watch up in the tree tops. From now until leaf-out is the best time for spotting them. I use a 22 mag for close work but also carry any number of center fires for the long stuff. I like to hunt were there are clear cuts and marshes to look across. This gives you your best long range shots.(my longest last year was 550 yards with 22-250. Porkys Kill many trees a year here. They prefer red oak this time of year, and can strip all the limbs the size of your wrist and smaller of bark. In about 2 weeks they can destroy a 60 year old oak.

Later in the spring the like poplar trees. They chew the limbs the size of your thumb off, and then eat those limbs on the ground. The most I shot in one day was 22, this was during there breeding season, Late April- early May.

The best part is they are all guts and make some great detonations [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

save a tree shot a porky [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jim
Old 03-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

I just can't resist asking.

How do you skin a porcupine?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

I was wondering the same thing. I have heard they are filthy animals full of fleas and ticks. Is that true?