Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Polypells

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Polypells

Ian,

Your maths is off mate, that's nearer $18 for 2lb of pellets!! ....same money gets you 11.5lbs in the US ...we're almost 6 times more expensive! ...ain't Blair's Britain great?!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Sacks of polypropelene pellets of all types are available for the injection moulding business very cheaply

[/ QUOTE ] ...that sounds good; any company you could point me at? ...thanks!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Brown dog,
Ian is correct in suggesting contacting an injection molding company, for instance a place that makes plastic bottles. The raw material they use is in the form of plastic pellets. Another source is from hobby craft suppliers, since the little beads are the basis for dolls etc. They are very cheap, unless you have to buy them in very small quantities. Advantage is they do not hold water, they are light and easy to work with.
Although heavier I also use bags filled with budgie gravel, available in pet stores. Nicely screened so it is uniform, clean and easy to fill with also.
Now sneaking beanie-babies from your wife's collection is probably the last resort, but you got to do what you got to do [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

I contacted the Ebay seller and asked why US only.
Here is the reply:

"I can ship to UK, however, this is a heavy item and there is not a flat rate priority box so it would cost more to ship. The box weighs 12.1 pounds and I do charge a 3.00 handleing fee for out of the country."

I suppose that the shipping may be much more than the item purchased, but you could calculate that from your own city code.

edge.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Gold Member

Matt,
There's nothing wrong with my maths mate, its the the way you interpreted my wording! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], No seriously, i meant to say $9 for the product and $9 for the shipping.

I live in the same town where they make the Mclaren baby buggy and the injection moulding section was only round the corner from where i used to work, these pellets were everywhere.
If they dropped a sack from a forklift where they were stored outside, they usually left them and you could help yourself.
That was a few years ago and they have cleaned up their act now to confirm with HSE regs.

I cant point you in the direction of a specific company but try British plastics and look under injection moulding supplys in Yellow pages.

Ian.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Gold Member

Thanks Ian,

..just rung round my local plastics moulder; he couldn't help...but put me onto his wholesaler...much better value....only 76p/lb delivered.

...that would put them at 8.74 for 11.5lbs

...trouble is; minimum bag size is 55lbs! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What is it about UK that makes everything so difficult?! ..I'll keep looking!
Old 01-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Gold Member

Matt,
I think its a case of, if why try to find a product at a similar price to what our US friends pay we are out of luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Looks like you are going to be stuck with UK rip-off prices.
Makes me $%#&*@ mad! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Ian
Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Bronze Member

I live in ky. in the united states and work in an injection molding company and we throw away hunreds of pounds every week.I've never heard of anyone using them, I always use sand.If I could be of help let me know.Thanks trb0