Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Poaching or survival

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

Re: Poaching or survival

I would venture to say a lot of folks here have done what was necessary to feed their families. Years ago, I did as well.

I don't consider this poaching and it sounds like it ended badly for the family in need.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

While technically its all poaching, I have no problem with a man that poaches anything with meat on its bones to feed his family. The man that poaches only trophies or anything to turn a profit deserves all manner of ills that befall him.

Chris
Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

Taking game to survive and/or feed your family is NOT poaching in my book,if you think it is you have never been hungry and poor.Poaching is killing trohy animals just for the trophy,I have no problem with someone who is truly in need puting a doe or two in the freezer to feed the kids.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

I saw the same show if I remember the man lied about what he was doing and going so what is to say he was not lying about the family. poaching and hunting to feed a family is two different thing
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

The economy must be bad for us to debate this survival mode scenario.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

wasnt long ago there were plenty of familes around here that hunted whenever they needed meat,trophys had nothing to do with it.A doe deer or a cow elk was the trophy for the freezer.Now we have so many damn deer around town we pay cops to kill them(they just trapped and killed 400) to keep them from eating peoples flowers and killing thier rat dogs.There is no shortage of game around and if someone needs a piece of meat be my guest.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

In my previous life when I was gainfully employed and had no children I was fortunate to be able to hunt Zimbabwe. We came upon several camps of poachers. It was hard for me to understand the extreme anger of my African hosts because the camps all had remains of MEAT animals. Hell, there were warthog hides at 2 of the camps. American's always have the rhino/elephant poachers in mind when you hear of African poaching but the only thing I saw was meat hunters. Nobody bothered the elephants unless they came into a village and there were no rhino but there were plenty of animals for the locals to eat. I truely enjoyed Africa and will hopefully go back someday but I hope I am not too offensive to anyone when I say that Africa is one bassackwards continent. There is a reason most of them don't live in the 21st century or the 16th century for that matter.