Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

An PM to John Burns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

In talking with John in the past I believe he makes all his own rifles but I may be mistaken. Last I heard he used a 7mm STW with either Barnes or Berger bullets in the rifles in those videos. I may be wrong but I believe that was the case.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-04-2008, 02:57 AM

John Burns

Hello:

I just logged on for my first time, I have spoken to John Burns several times, however its been 4 years ago, the rifle he used was of course but
by himself, it was a 7mmstw, at topped with a 4.5 x 14 x 50 Leupold,
and Keyton Industries custom made the knobs per Johns request. If I
remember correctly he was using 140 Sirricco's. I spoke to him a couple times, about building me a rifle, and he was so busy getting TBOTW started and on its feet, he did not have time. Comically the way I found
him, was .. I had hunted in Wyoming, in 04 and took time to check my rifle, ironically I had set a the same bench that the shot most of the footage in Beyond Belief... after making a 707 yd shot on a good bull, and flying back to NC. I turned on the TV the next Sunday evening and fliped
thru the channels, TBOTW was airing. ( First time I had ever watched it)
Of course I was amazed when John started talking while setting beside
the exact bench where I had traveled 1500 plus miles...

As Ironically the producer of TBOTW lives within 30 miles of me, here
in NC.

later..

liftman
Old 04-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

I too have also seen John's video's and was able to take several great tips from them that have helped me make some long range kills. At this time, I have not had the chance to really shot and animal further than 624 yards. I have shot steel to 1200, but know that shooting at a live animal in the wild can be completely different.

I think rifleman such as John and the others on this website bring a great deal of information to many of us that did not have the experience needed when we first started off in the sport. I for one like to examine each experienced longrange shooter and get what works best for me and use it to my advantage. It is just my humble opinion that I can just about learn something from every experienced shooter here. I me John at this years SCI and he is a great guy!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Gold Member

In one of his videos I watched several years ago, john used a 7mm WRP, he said it was a 7 STW with throating changes, a 4.5x14 loopy with a m1 elev. knob w/ custom BDC, and a custom reticle for windage hold off.
RR