Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

An PM to John Burns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

An PM to John Burns

I sent this pm to John Burns in response to a previous thread on this site. I thought it wouldn't be a bad Idea to share it with the rest of you. I think it would be foolish to turn away such a knowledgeable person such as John Burns, with such a rough welcome back. Cut the man some slack guys. He may be one of the largest proponents of our sport as far as generating new interest. I think the following pm explains my position. I hope no one takes offense to me posting this.

John,
hope you get this. I was inspired by all of your videos as they are what got me started in long range shooting a few years ago. I attribute many of my long range kills to the knowledge I took from your videos. I wish people would be more courteous with their opinions. I do not think it is fair for people to rip apart every detail of your video. I am also not against people speaking their minds. Weather or not any of the things that have been discussed are true or false, I do not care. I don't think it takes away from the video at all. People are imperfect, including the ones who so deeply criticize you. Don't listen to it! I for one do not use all the methods you use. I for one, do things slightly different. What I do different does not matter. I do what works for me. I have had the privilege of taking some fine game out to 912 yards. I was able to do so because of you and also because of others on this site(kirby and shawn included). I currently am having Kirby build me a rifle. I hold him in the highest regards as a person and a rifle builder. I have spoken with him a great deal in the last few years. He has always answered my e-mails as well as everyone else on the site. I know he and shawn may have come off as a little harsh to you, but I know for a fact that Kirby meant well (I really cannot speak for shawn as I have not spoken to him directly, but he seems to be a great guy). Hopefully you can work things out with them and the three of you can share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of us on this site. I also look forward to shawn's new video. I will purchase it as soon as it is available.

P.S. Maybe you can help Shawn out with a few criticism's of your own;). Just remember that you guys are all on the same side. thanks, AL
Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Bronze Member

VERY WELL SAID!
I think that John is a great ambassador to our sport. His videos have really helped me to develope some of the skills that I was missing to become a better longrange hunter.

Levi
Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

I too PM'd John. I was brief.

He responded with "Thanks for the kind words."

I am the guy that started that thread and just had two questions none of which had anything to do with POI. Those two questions revealed my experience, or lack of, w/LRH.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Way to go Roy , you started the fight now looked what happned:p

I guess I'll have to PM him myself cause nobody would ever amswere my freekin question about his rifle and my feeling are still hurt about that.

I always like to hear several differant sides to an oppinion or idea as I feel that several differant outlooks are always better than one (except the wifes)

I don't think that one differance of oppinion should "run anybody off" nor do I think that everytime sombody makes a post that the other fellas should jump in and bash it whcih I have seen happen alot but not here yet.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

James, I think it is gunwerks.com
Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

I think I heard the cartridge is a 7 Dakota or maybe it's a Laz. I'm not familiar with either one.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

I remember looking at the website and if I remember right it was a 7MM Rem Mag with Bergers. Pretty impressive stuff, the guns on their site look pretty nice too.