Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2004, 11:25 AM

please help

I decided thatI would introduce myself, My name is Chris, I just moved to Tx and I dont kniow of any place to shot long range, have posted before and not gotten any feed back. I have a custom 7mm RUM that really likes Berger 180 VLDs and lots of open land.
any help would be appreciated. I've been here a week already without any trigger time, HELP!
Chris [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: please help

Chris:
Let me ask a dumb question. Where is Hickory Creek? I am in Dallas and I asked the same question a few weeks ago and found several places. I will try to help you if I can.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:15 PM

Hickory creek is south of Denton and north of Lewisville. Its on the northen bank of Lake Lewisville on the eastern side of 35E.
I live just off the Swisher St. exit
Old 03-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Chris:
There is a range at old Ft Walters which is in Mineral wells, Texas here is their web page http://www.fwssc.org/. There is also a longer range in Cumby Texas. I was looking for their web page and can't find it quickly. I plan on going out there this Friday with another guy who posts here to check it out. i think the longest their range is is 300yrds. There also is a 1000Yrd range west on I 20 west of Weatherford Texas I must have their link on my other computer at my office. I will post it for you later. The Guy who runs that range is an Englishman and ex special opps. I understand they do sniper training there also. Hope this at least gives you a start. Keep in touch and I will get you more info. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like davedenn@swbell.net
Good Luck
Old 03-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Chris, I am the other guy Texas Dave is talking about that is going to the range in Cumby Texas this Friday. The web site is www.outbacksportsman.com . Neither of us have been there yet but I have talked to them and they said they have 100, 200, and 300 yd ranges. They are open for shooting from 10 til 5 Wednesday thru Sunday. Hope this helps. Welcome to Texas.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Chris, I live in Lewisville.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:09 AM

Hello Texas fellas. I am from the Dallas area{Mesquite}. There is the Winchester Range off Luna Rd in Dallas. Haven't used it in several years but is usually a lonely place on weekdays. I have only used the 100 yd facility and don't know about the longer ranges if they have any. Chris, the sticking bolt after firing a round can be a sign of excess pressure. In other words the powder in the load may need to be adjusted to a lesser amt.
I have experienced this when I get a little carried away with the powder dispenser. Good to hear from you guys.