Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Place to shoot Long distance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Place to shoot Long distance

As my spot that i have to get to 1 mile will be overun with cattle and my rifles will be back from the smith soon and i haven't been able to shoot for 4 months getting an itchy trigger finger.

I was wondering if any North East Coloardo guys or eastern Wyoming guys know of any good BLM or public land spots to get over 1000 yards? I can get to 1000 at my local range but want to get farther out.

Other question would be if i got a CO or WY Atlas and Gazetteer that shows all roads and public and blm land would that help me in finding a spot?

Thanks
Matt
Old 04-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Place to shoot Long distance

I would recommend getting the atlas and gazzetteer (sp). I know that the one I have for wyoming shows some state lands that can only be accessed during scertain parts of the year, so pay attention to posted signs if you come into WY to do your shooting.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 04-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

The maps will be helpfull for sure but be carefull in that they are seriosly outdated.Have run into several cases where the roads are privet and others where we drove a lot farther than we had to.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a web site that will get you to state federal lands in Wyoming or any other state. you can also access topo maps and look for the correct features.

look for a federal land about a couple of miles square with a small knoll/ hill/ rise and a butte/ bigger hill/ mountain about a mile away and a jeep trail between the two with no big gullies

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/map_s...tes_sites.html

click ont the state you are interested in and then click on the type of map you want.

Hope you have high speed connection or you will die of old age waiting on the federal land map to load. And then magnify it as you please. if you cant find the right map, just post a note and I will put up a direct link to the map.

Check vegetation maps becasue you don't want to wind up in the pinons
Old 04-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys.

Will check out the link Buffalo.