Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Pierce Engineering - Lansing, Mich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Pierce Engineering - Lansing, Mich

I'd sure like some input on Pierce Engineering and how their custom built long range rifles stack up againt the competition like Kirby Allen (Allen Precision) or Red Rock.

Pierce is real close to me so dealing with a local establishment on a cutom built rifle/action is easier, if, they are worth their salt that is.......

Not interested in a tube gun. Not into black guns at all and I realize Pierce does build custom black guns....

Input appreciated as I'm looking hard at having a custom lightweight, medium long range platform built.....
Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: Pierce Engineering - Lansing, Mich

I have built several rifles, for customers, using pierce actions. Some were tube guns but most were 600-1000 Yd. competition rifles. Very fine, well made actions. You couldn't ask for better people to work with than John Pierce and his group.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you for the input....

Best part is we are actually neighbors so to speak. Pierce is about 2 hours from here.

I'm wanting a lightweight medium range rifle with a MacMillan stock and a good trigger and I've heard that their titanium actions are excellent. I need to keep weight as a prime consideration and I'm shooting for no more than 8 pounds scoped and braked (if required).

I had a friend visit Pierce last week and he was very impressed. No fancy store front, just a machine shop with lots of machine tools.

I'll be dropping by and discussing my needs with them and see what they recommend. From what I've been told (by others), the main issue is getting a barrel for the action. I guess barrels have very long lead times.

I've always bought factory rifles (and had good luck accuracy wise with most, notably Savages) but I believe it's time for a lightweight custom rifle.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dont know your caliber or which barrel your leaning towards but you did mention your building a light rifle and were concerened about wait time...the guys at proof research told me they have some 30 cal barrels in stock if a carbon wrapped barrel fits your needs. I run one of thier barrels on one of my 338 lapuas and it shoots lights out. I have no affiliation with proof just ran into them at a trade show recently.

Jordan@406
Old 03-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Flip

I bought some pierce components for my rifle build! Top notch! Would definitely consider one of their actions!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 03-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

Flip, I have spoken to them and they are straight up guys. Too busy for small jobs (Rem action trueing, barrel chambering etc). I think if you get a Krieger blank from Bugholes.com, you should be all set.

I'm not sold on the tube guns since there is no weight advantage. I really expected that there should be if it is designed properly. But the tube chassis is not his product, he just makes a special receiver for integrating into an existing tube gun chassis. I was surprised that even the Tubb 2000 turns out to be a 12lb rifle...
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

I've never seen any of their smith work but they build a helleva action. I have several of them and all are top notch. Here's a pic of a titanium pierce I just had screwed together in a 6.5 SAUM.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Pierce Engineering - Lansing, Mich-image.jpg