Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

phases of new gun build (phase 3)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

phases of new gun build (phase 3)

After reading AJ's post and a little nudge from him. I figured I'd post.

I'm building off of a winchester Mod 70 223 WSSM action. I'm having it made into a 7mm WSM. First time having something like this made so some details I left to the smith. I am having Kevin Cram from Montour County Rifles do the work with a laminate from Joel Russo. I figure all the bedding, and action/bolt blueprinting/truing are a given.

Win Mod 70 action

Krieger 27-28" barrel chambered for a turn neck, and throated for the berger 180s

Joel Russo's personal design stock with an adjustable cheek. I believe it is based on the A5, but made more "rear bag" friendly.

Trigger was left up to Kevin as I don't care about anything other than a clean brake and consistent 1.5# pull.

Bottom metal was also left to Kevin. Donor rifle didn't have any (was plastic stock). I don't care if the 7mm has one either. Just so the trigger guard is metal that's all.

Kirby Allen's Small pain killer brake. (I forget what it's actually called)

Haven't really given much thought to base and rings. I do wonder since I'm using an Allen brake will I need double rings like AJ's or were they required because of the large chambering?

Other than the wait, that's about it.........By the way if your "expecting" feel free to post. I'll make a new thread when I get my rifle and post some pics.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: phases of new gun build (phase 3)

Is this the A3/A5 laminate stock? I handled one the last time I saw Joel and it was really a wonderful feeling stock.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Is this the A3/A5 laminate stock? I handled one the last time I saw Joel and it was really a wonderful feeling stock.
The best way I can explain it is that it looks like the one below but the base of the butt is angled like the red line instead of notched out. So you can change you sight picture (elevation) by sliding the rear bag. At least that's how I understand it to be. Maybe Joel will see this thread and comment. By the way this is the color I selected. Without the bright red line..

Old 11-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Can't go wrong dealing with Joel Russo.

That Black and brown looks alot better than some folks realize and the good thing about the Laminate is that you can give it a litle trim here and their to make it fit you just the way you want.

here is a little M-7 Rem I did with that some color , you should have a fine stick when its all said and done

Old 11-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

That is going to be a nice rifle! Keep us posted.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

I am interested to hear that the larger WSM case will work with the short WSSM action in the Winchester, did you have to do something with the magazine for the bigger cases?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Ian- I would imagine something will need done. That's an area I had no preference in so it'll be a surprise for me. Maybe Kevin will catch this thread and answer that.

I'll keep you all posted but it will be a while.........