Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: What Caliber
7 Rem Mag 109 15.24%
7 STW 62 8.67%
7 Ultra Mag 27 3.78%
308 Win 37 5.17%
30-06 Spring 45 6.29%
300 Win Mag 118 16.50%
300 Ultra 84 11.75%
338 Ultra 62 8.67%
338 Lapua 151 21.12%
338-378 20 2.80%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

The Perfect Long Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: The Perfect Long Rifle

I voted for the 300WM, great round. Since I'm living and hunting in Europe I would go for the 8x68S. Very potent round, which combines great accuracy and flat trajectory. Its performance (impact) on game is lying between the 300WM and 338WM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 PM

My vote is for the 300wm. It has done everything that i have asked it to do. When you think about it, 90grn to 240grn bullets covers just about everything. Last fall I had my old trusty Rem 700 rebuilt, love it even more now. Working on a new load, giving the Berger 185 hunting vlds a try.

Matt
Old 12-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

The 7mm Remington Magnum is the maximum round that most people can tolerate, recoil wise, and have a hope of accurately shooting, in a hunting weight rifle. It is the only named magnum round in the top 10 of most reloaded cartridges....FOR A GOOD REASON. It gets MY vote, which makes it significant. Because it is the most cartridge that most of you reading this have a faint and remote hope of ever handling correctly to its full capability, and it is available in every mom-and-pop store in the whole USA where hunting is common. And to get the most out of it, you will have to practice long and hard. It is a possibility. But not likely.

Of course, without a doubt, I could outshoot most of you, whatever you shoot, with my 7mm Mauser, just as Karamojo Bell could do if he were alive today.

And that cartridge was invented around 1893.

So have your narcissistic wet cartridge dream and vote for some esoteric magnumized cartridge that a sold-out gunwriter prostitute is pushing and you think that your couch potato azz is capable of handling using daydreaming experiences.

We will see how that plays out in the real world.

Like I said, the 7mm Rem Mag is the most cartridge that all but a VERY, VERY few can shoot accurately in a hunting weight rifle, and is readily available where you can buy beer and gas in Montana.

Just get the 7mm Rem Mag and worry more about if your favorite beer is available at the mom-and-pop store. That is more of a real world problem, if you haven't figured it out already.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL Shot View Post
The 7mm Remington Magnum is the maximum round that most people can tolerate, recoil wise, and have a hope of accurately shooting, in a hunting weight rifle. It is the only named magnum round in the top 10 of most reloaded cartridges....FOR A GOOD REASON. It gets MY vote, which makes it significant. Because it is the most cartridge that most of you reading this have a faint and remote hope of ever handling correctly to its full capability, and it is available in every mom-and-pop store in the whole USA where hunting is common. And to get the most out of it, you will have to practice long and hard. It is a possibility. But not likely.

Of course, without a doubt, I could outshoot most of you, whatever you shoot, with my 7mm Mauser, just as Karamojo Bell could do if he were alive today.

So have your narcissistic wet cartridge dream and vote for some esoteric magnumized cartridge that a sold-out gunwriter prostitute is pushing and you think that your couch potato azz is capable of handling using daydreaming experiences.

Like I said, the 7mm Rem Mag is the most cartridge that all but a VERY, VERY few can shoot accurately in a hunting weight rifle, and is readily available where you can buy beer and gas in Montana.

Just get the 7mm Rem Mag and worry more about if your favorite beer is available at the mom-and-pop store. That is more of a real world problem, if you haven't figured it out already.
I hope hope this isn't a blanket response to everyone here and it is directed towards one person in particular.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

A couple of possibilities come to mind, 1) Somebody may have availed themselves of too such Montana Quick Stop beer, 2) Somebody hasn't braved the cold for this mornings kick start.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
FOR A GOOD REASON. It gets MY vote, which makes it significant.
Seriously?
Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Holy s**t, that sounds like a certain politicians alter ego speaking :o