Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

The thread is closed

People posting public land as "private no trespassing" ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

People posting public land as "private no trespassing" ?

ss7mm's question got me thinking of this.

How many people have expierenced someone? putting "no trespassing" signs up on public land ?
I have -when i lived in georgia it was common for the locals to put up signs to keep other hunters out.
A friend of mine told me about a public place where i could coyote hunt when squirrel season came in - i got there and it was posted.Found out later that this is a common problem w/ public land.

It is worse in n.georgia -hunters who live in the area feel like this is "their" spot so they sneek and post it ,other hunters seem to not pursue whether or not it is public land.VERY frustrating let me tell you.

I've seen BLM land posted in the owyhee desert of southwestern Idaho and asked a rancher about it when i was in another spot -he said -don't worry about those signs -you can go in there [after he decided he liked me enough].

I think it should be illegal to block -right of way- to public land .
Also people who have the mentality -don't step on MY LAND make me sick ..

Anyway who's seen this senario ?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: People posting public land as "private no trespassing" ?

I've seen it in Western Colorado.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

ol mike
The Owyhee desert is notorious for that in southwest Idaho. At least that has been my experience. You need a good map and know where you are at. I have a buddy that used to outfit down there and he lined me out as to what was going on. It probably happens all over the country. You just need to know where you are and if its legal to be there.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 09-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

ol mike,

It is especially prevalent around this neck of the woods.

There is 240 acres behind my house that is grazing leased BIA ground. The Leasee, another neighbor, has his personal property, 140 acres on each side fo this lease posted. The personal propery posting is ok by me..

He posted it all several years ago. The BIA says, nope ya can't do that. Nevertheless people don't like to take the risk.

I camo up, read ghillie suit, and go back there an make noise just to be obnoxious.

But he pissed me off last year, after I got permission from to hunt yotes there, he took my steel yote. It was my sight in target @ 830 yds.

Another neighbor needs some more grazing ground, so a couple of us "sportsman" are teaming with him for the lease next year. We'll drive the price to where it will be senseless to a cattle man. (I just hate people that do that, but they should have been straight with me.

We will then post it for non-motorized transportation. That leaves only "shanks pony" and horses.

Plus its land locked. Only accessable through the guy that gave me that Boar for testing's property.

Life is gonna get sweet about then.

Lots of yotes, mule deer, white tails, elk, a woof now and again and a 1200 gong. It doesn't get any better than that. Plus the bit of a burr under a prick's saddle.;)

Last edited by royinidaho; 09-20-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

I've seen it in Wyoming. It is against the law to post any kind of sign on any BLM land at any time for any reason. Unfortunatly it is a law that is seldom enforced. If you complain to your local BLM office, they should look into it. If you ever have someone try to kick you off public land, call the local sheriff. Grazing rights does not mean exclusive rights to the land.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Caught an outfitter doing it on some state land near Augusta MT,after his no tresspassing signs disappeared he posted new signs warning hunters that they needed a GPS to hunt this land or they would be prosecuted for tresspassing as one of the boundrys is not fenced and you have to use a map or gps to locate it.After those signs disappeared he started hanging out there all morning to keep others from walking in then droppin off his clients for evening hunts,I calle him on it and he threatened to call the F&G,I called them myself and he took off,the old game wardnen in town told me this wanna b outfitter was running his operation on several small pieces of state land in the area and wasnt even from MT.He put up the same stupid gps signs last year and they disappeared right away,Im pretty sure its illegal to post ANYTHING on public land but this POS has been at it for years and hasnt been punished for it,hes only around during hunting season and I cant get his name to turn him into the F&G here.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

I've seen it a bunch in Colorado, usually its the landowners of big ranches that post outside their property trying to get a buffer zone around their ranch for whatever reason. I've had them to threaten me with calling the game warden and order me to "get off their property", even when I've produced a map showing where the boundary of public property lies. Usually they shut up real fast when I offer to call the game warden myself. Sure helps to have a GPS at times like that. It gets almost laughable when they say things like "well I don't care what the map says, its wrong!".
The thread is closed