Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Pellet rifles -who likes them ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Pellet rifles -who likes them ?

I do.

I have a gamo cfx royale .177 -it's a fixed barrel model -1,000fps w/a leapers 4x scope.
I have shot so many crap birds [crows -pidgeons -starlings -sparrows -bluejays] ,ground squirrels etc. i couldn't begin to count them all.Also shot several grey squirrels that wouldn't stop trying to chew their way into the house -dead w/ one shot.

If anyone is contemplating getting a pellet rifle the gamo fixed barrel is the best deal out there [midsouth shooters supply].It has a dead air space moderator -looks like a small silencer and is VERY quiet.
The Leapers scopes are top-notch -get a 3x9 or 3x12 w/side focus -Pyramid Air- has good prices on scopes and pellets.

Don't try to apply to pellets what you know about bullets -save yourself the time and money and buy some RWS FLAT TIP 'HEAVY' MATCH PELLETS =9gr and up -no 'good bc' sharp point -no cute little red tip =these will not shoot well trust me.If you want to shoot that type i'll sell you all you want.

Don't buy a break barrel -everytime you cock it it bends the barrel a little and soon you'll run out of elevation in your scope.

Don't put a regular scope on a 'springer' no matter how good/tough it is -magnum spring air rifles have forward and reverse recoil and will destroy the best scopes.

Don't try to shoot a magnum spring air pellet rifle off of a sandbag -it will shoot patterns -you must learn to shoot a 'springer' -hold them very lightly in your hands and concentrate on keeping the crosshair on the target as the spring reacts.

I practiced shooting offhand for hundreds of shots w/ the pellet rifle -when i went to wyoming shooting pd's i killed five in a row offhand from 80 to 125yds w/ my cz 22 fireball .
Pellet rifles are definately great fun and practice -and when there is a dumpster diving job-site crow hanging around -it'll be going to crow heaven.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:20 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Pellet rifles -who likes them ?

I like em but the 20 rabbits I killed in my city lot backyard hate em.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 09-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

I had an RWS 48 in 177 for years but lost it during hurricane Katrina and haven't replaced it yet. I have a costom Ruger 10-22 with a 1-9 twist barrel specificly to shoot Agulia 60gr SSS ammo I built a suppressor for it and its actualy way quieter than the old RWS was.

I'd still like to get a little pellet rifle just to help limit the range and chance of over penitration and such
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

i bought .20 cal Benjamin Sheridan for my 9 yr old but must admit i love to shoot it. my work is pest control and when we get a pigeon job, i'm usually the trigger man with another holding the light. i'm planning on hunting some squirrels this fall but i have to find out if it's legal here in Pa. i was shooting flying grasshoppers in the quarry a couple weeks ago while the boy was fishing. they're not particularly easy to hit offhand. but a lot of fun! i love shooting that thing!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Rabbits will destroy a garden that's for sure.

James -that's a trick set-up -fast twist 22 w/ the 60gr's -i too would worry about ricochets w/ something moving heavy and slow.Be great on bigger stuff though.
Those RWS guns are very nice well worth the money -anything RWS is good stuff.
A past co-worker had an RWS 54 w/ the floating action [no spring recoil] -22cal side cocker -man it would drop crows out of the tallest trees -he was an excellent shot w/ it.
I was ignorant to modern pellet rifles and when he told me about it -i mentally rolled my eyes thinking -big whoop - a pellet rifle ,but after seeing him drop a few crows out of the job-site trailer window -i'm ignorant no more !

Dave - i saw you mention a pellet rifle on the other thread and been meaning to start a thread and that pushed me over the little edge.
I had a benji-20cal -real nice but too loud ,one thing amazing about them was when sighted in whether you shoot it w/ 3 pumps or 8 pumps it hits the same poi.
I shot a crow behind my house w/it and flew 20-30' and smacked into the sliding glass door of a new house ,i went up on my porch to get a better look and in the amount of time it took get there and turn around and look --the new home owner was looking at me and the bird --just smiled and waved.I got all paranoid and forgot to wave back -laugh-.

Just looked up the gun i have on pyramid air -gamo cfx $219 w/a scope -one stroke of the handle is like 10 pumps from the benj pump -way more fun .
I know two other people w/ them same gun/scope combo -shoot lights out -i can't say enough good things about them for the money..

Check the youtube vids -lotsa good crows.-Mike

Last edited by ol mike; 09-09-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Gold Member

OL MIKE
I also have a CFX .177, I Agree with all you have said except I am shooting Gamo's PBX (the gold ones) pellets and the 40 to 50 squirrels that have departed my yard just hate them.
But I have GOOD triggers on all of my rifles and I HATE that friggin Gamo trigger. I know there is some one out there that makes a replacement for it, just need to find and buy one.
Dave
Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

I have a RWS 48. I really enjoy shooting pellet rifles. I've been thinking about buying a new one, the RWS is just to big and heavy. I can tell you first hand they will kill any rifle scope you put on them. I broke a vari x3 and a simmions, and finally put an air rifle scope on, and that cured the problem. When I was a kid I had a Sherdian 5mm, and could regularly hit a shotshell primer from 20 yds with open sites. Man I wish I could still see to shoot like that now. They are cheap, fun, and make great practice....