Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Paw Paw bends

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Paw Paw bends

For those who are interested here is a little scenery with no dead animals. In fact I stayed here all day and saw no live animals either.

This is the famous Paw Paw bends of the Potomac River. In the first picture you will see one of the two train tunnels that go through the mountain. The tunnel is out at about 900 yds. And it still has trains going through it. The train trestle across the river is the black line in the middle bottom of the picture. The answer is "No, I did not shoot at any of the trains".

The second picture is just how I set up to shoot. I did not have to pack in but about a quarter of a mile so I just carried in the heavy iron front rest and heavy sand bags in an external frame back pack. Next year I will know better.

A paw paw is a tree that has a paw paw fruit which is about the size of an apple but has one single large seed.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

Re: Paw Paw bends

[ QUOTE ]
The train trestle across the river is the black line in the middle bottom of the picture. The answer is "No, I did not shoot at any of the trains".

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pretty nice scenery. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Daaaang Bob ,

you are working way too hard for your shot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Very pretty scenery and as you have said " relaxing " .

It is very difficult to get a shot at a whitetail at the distances you want when you are hunting the woods even with the leaves off .

I have ranged shots at places so similar to yours that they couldd be the same place, then go to that place and start figuringg the " window " for the bullet to come in without hitting branches ..................sheeeeeeesh [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Many of my " pet " spots are not good candidates for a bullet coming in at such a steep angle. 337 is my longest this year....... well so what ! great ! next year I will be a bit further I think [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]( it won't be for lack of trying )

May the Lord of light bless you and yours , remember ......you will never cease to exist, just a matter of where you will call home for eternity.

Jim Brown
Old 12-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Different shooting spot about 5 miles down the river

On the right side of the river is a field. It is actually the same field I bowhunt but viewed from the top of the mountain. Briefly I had a buck chasing a doe at 840yds but he never stopped out in the open.

On the right side of the river you see a little slough at 1108 yds which is where the woodducks will be and when it is windy the geese will be in there also.

Lots of smallmouth bass in the river.

The left side of the river is West Virginia.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:01 AM
Gold Member

Bob, the Paw Paw fruit is oblong and smooth skinned. Flesh is pale yellow and tastes sorta like bannana. It has several dark brown seeds that resemble kidney beans. My grandaughter and I make an annual trip to the Potomac river banks in late Sept to harvest these tasty fruits. The yield varies from year to year and this year was a good one. We got 2, 5 gal. buckets full in a very short time.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Doc Ed

I have hunted this area in the picture for maybe 22 or 23 years and about 5 years ago I say my first paw paw. I will take your word for the seeds as I have not tried to eat them and my memory is not always too good on plants. I just notice them on the ground in that one little grove of paw paw trees during bow season. I understand that only one tree in a grove will have fruit- is that right?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Gold Member

Bob, I know that more than one tree will bear fruit but, I have a large grove of trees near one of my favorite squirrel hunting spot that have never born fruit in the last 20 years. I have never been able to find out if there are male and female plants. I know Holly trees have M&F but not sure about Paw-Paws.