Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Patents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Patents

+1 w/jrigby on patents do not mean much when it comes to companies copying product, it comes down to who has the deeper pockets and were you/they will throw in the towl.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
Thank you for the info.

You do realize that I was kidding about the polymer, ceramic, and glycerin? After reading your reply I was afraid that I was sounding like an April fools joke. What I have done is a variation of the conventional rifle that increases strength, stability, and accuracy.

Steve
We'll sort of. The above still applies. The "invention" must be novel, and not an "obvious" extension of something that already exists. This is a term of art to describe what a person who is an expert, practiced in the field would judge as being obvious. Just because you haven't seen it before doesn't mean its novel, in filing patents.

Basically, you write an file a patent with the US patent office. Then, you have about 18 months before the patent is "published". At this point, your patent (as submitted) will be available for all to see, and possibly comment on (this is where people list patent pending). After this, a patent agent will then go over the claims in your patent and decide if your claims are novel, and should be protected with a patent. The agent will scour the literature to find closely related inventions to judge how novel your patent is. If they find an example of the same thing that is already known (i.e., some internet post of the same idea), or a magazine article suggesting your could do the same thing, then you are done and probably won't get all of your claims or even your patent. BUT, most of the time, people spend debating about what is novel. We are constantly fighting with the patent agents about novelty.

Your patent attorney will also do the literature search to make sure (I they are any good). You need to ask them about this, and you should do it yourself. When you file your patent, you will have to provide references to closely related "prior art".

One last thing. If you want to patent your invention, you can't talk about the specifics in public before the patent is published. That would be considered prior art, even though you were the one making the statements.

Okay, one more last thing: In my mind, the main reason you would want to patent your invention is to be able to license the technology to a large firm, where they can be assured that they will recoup their investment.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visigoth View Post
We'll sort of. The above still applies. The "invention" must be novel, and not an "obvious" extension of something that already exists. This is a term of art to describe what a person who is an expert, practiced in the field would judge as being obvious. Just because you haven't seen it before doesn't mean its novel, in filing patents.

Basically, you write an file a patent with the US patent office. Then, you have about 18 months before the patent is "published". At this point, your patent (as submitted) will be available for all to see, and possibly comment on (this is where people list patent pending). After this, a patent agent will then go over the claims in your patent and decide if your claims are novel, and should be protected with a patent. The agent will scour the literature to find closely related inventions to judge how novel your patent is. If they find an example of the same thing that is already known (i.e., some internet post of the same idea), or a magazine article suggesting your could do the same thing, then you are done and probably won't get all of your claims or even your patent. BUT, most of the time, people spend debating about what is novel. We are constantly fighting with the patent agents about novelty.

Your patent attorney will also do the literature search to make sure (I they are any good). You need to ask them about this, and you should do it yourself. When you file your patent, you will have to provide references to closely related "prior art".

One last thing. If you want to patent your invention, you can't talk about the specifics in public before the patent is published. That would be considered prior art, even though you were the one making the statements.

Okay, one more last thing: In my mind, the main reason you would want to patent your invention is to be able to license the technology to a large firm, where they can be assured that they will recoup their investment.
Thank you visigoth,

That is the help I was looking for.

Steve
Old 05-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrigby View Post
Steve,
best bet is to contact a good patent attorney for consultation. they can research your product and get back to on it. you may not be able to papent the whole thing but parts and pieces. I now if you have sold any you have up to 1 year to protect it before it is free game. also hang on to your wallet because it going to cost. my last patent not firearm related was just shy of 10,000 when it was all said and done. it took just shy of 4 years to get it threw.I can tell you from past experience patents do not mean much when it comes to companies copy product, it comes down to who has the deeper pockets and were you/they will throw in the towl. Patents only keep the honest people honest.
Jrigby
+1

I have 3 patent,s and it means nothing. one was stolen during the process and one other is
being made in Korea.

My advice is to make as many as you can and sell them as long as the demand is there and
at least you will have the satisfaction of being the first. Besides royalty's don't pay much if
you do get one and don't protect you from theft If someone wants to steal your idea because
if they get sued they just go belly up and get off Scott free.

I'm not bitter just wiser.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

i filed a provisional patent once. It cost me about $3k for a patent attorney to edit what i had written, do all the searches and file the provisional. Most patent attorneys will read into your initial 'idea' and within a few weeks, tell you whether the idea is patentable or not.

A provisional patent lasts for one year and allows the inventor for a small cost to develop the idea and test things, make changes etc. It can be renewed after one year if needed. Once youve tested and further developed the idea and are happy to proceed with it, you can then file a full patent on it. If the idea doesnt fly, then the provisional patent lapses and you move on with your life only wasting a small anount of money, as opposed to a full patent.

Call a patent attorney for more details, most should talk to you free of charge for an initial consulatation.

Last edited by groper; 05-16-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

If you are going to patent anything, I woudlnt discuss it with anyone except a patent attorney that YOU are paying. And I dang sure wouldnt put even a hint of the idea on an internet forum of any kind. Good luck.

NRA Life Member