Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Pain....in a Fathers' Heart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Pain....in a Fathers\' Heart!

Despite her accident & injury you both have so much to be
thankful for. As someone already mentioned, she will have
a lot of time to think of her mistakes before your butt chewing occurs. It is amazing how we can make careless mistakes despite our training.
About 8 years ago a good friend of mine took his 12 year old
Son Deer hunting on the edge of their property in Northwestern AR. When he parked the truck, he discovered they had only one orange vest. Instead of going back to the
house to get another vest, he told his son to wear the vest
& he took him to one of their tree stands & told him that he
would come by & get him later. He was wearing brown carhart
overalls, why I don't know! To put this in more perspective,
the son had been teased alot about missing some Deer earlier
that season. His Grandfather bought him a shotgun & buckshot
so that he would not miss again.The dad put him in a stand in a thicket that would only have short range shots. I think
in the son's mind he would not let the next one by him & he could kill either sex, therefore he could point on the body mass & shoot. When the Father came back to get his son, the
boy saw the mass & shot. My friend had time to get out of his pocket a pen & a piece of paper. He wrote to his Son that he loved him & it was not his fault & then he died. Needless to say, this was devasting to everyone who knew this fine Man, but you can only imagine what this did to the son, a Daddy's boy for sure. This was one of the roughest funerals that I have ever attended. The boy was a wreck & in therapy for many years. I don't think he would have made it at all if it was not for his Grandfather. His Grandfather was & is still a rock that the boy could lean on dispite his Grandfather's terrible loss.
This accident was caused by a whole bunch of serious errors. We kept asking ourselves why did they not go back
home for the other vest? Why was the Dad wearing Carhart like the ones he worked with? The son should have never been teased, which caused him to have this unnessary pressure to kill a Deer. I sat with my boy's the first two years they hunted so I could keep them calm & make sure they identified the targets & placed their shots (with rifles). I could go on & on but we don't know why hunters that were trained on all these points made these mistakes, but my friend is gone.
Sir, I wish yor daughter a speedy recovery & I am glad you
were there. It is so good that the outcome was not like
my friend's.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:14 AM
Gold Member

GLAD IT DID NOT END UP BEING WORSE, WISH FOR A FAST RECOVERY. MERRY XMAS.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:08 AM

All Board

Thanks for your replies/thoughts! I posted this mainly as a reminder that no matter who it is.....things happen sometimes that cause pain/grief! It could have been MUCH WORSE....and I guess this is one reason I pray hard each day for my family/friends! Watch those little ones guys; train them in a manner that they will listen to you and apply what has been taught! Shellie has done this 99% of the time but she "goofed" that afternoon!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

God Bless!!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. As you mentioned it could have been a lot worse!

Happy Holidays,
Frank D
Old 12-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Bronze Member

Wishin for a speedy recovery [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
The safety harness should be mandatory [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Another I ask all of my friends to do, WEAR THE
KILL SWITCH WHEN DRIVING AN OUTBOARD!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Merry Christmas!!!

George [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW-I think I asked but got that CRS disease---Where is Clear Lake, LA? Which direction from Monroe?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:14 PM

GeorgeS3

Clear Lake is 10 miles 120 degrees off the Monroe Regional Airport!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YA!!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:56 AM

Here's her first doe this year: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mulher...pg&.src=ph

Her husband is a Barge Captain in the Gulf of Mexico and the day she got this doe she called me that night and told me she did EVERYTHING by herself as she had no help! I told her since I only live 15 miles from her location.....she should have called me but for some reason.....SHE'S HARD-HEADED! Must get that from her Mother!!

She goes home today so I know she'll be looking forward to seeing more familiar surroundings!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]