Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Overkill ... Overgun ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Overkill ... Overgun ???

When I was MUCH younger and more prone to stupidity . I was elk hunting in Colorado with a friend of mine (Bert). We'd been riding in the high country since before daylight, it was midday and my stomach was growling and since we hadn't even cut a fresh track I mentioned that we should stop and have some lunch. Well, the lunch that was supposed to have been put in a saddle bag, was sitting on the fender of the horse trailer (a LONG way away). We had NOTHING to eat and I was hungry. There was a small (2' wide) stream meandering through the meadow below us and I asked Bert if there were Brookies in the stream. He said there were, but we didn't have any fishing tackle. I grabbed my 7mm Rem Mag and picked out a likely looking hole above a shallow riffle (about 100yds away) and took a shot into the water just below a basketball sized rock. I climbed back on my horse and trotted down to the stream, bailed of my horse and tossed 4 8-10" brookies up on the bank. We made a small fire and had ourselves a couple of fresh fish.

I'd say I was a little overgunned, but I got 4 with one shot!

later that day, we jumped some Elk in the quakies and couldn't keep up with them on our horses. We did give it a solid effort though

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Old 12-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Overkill ... Overgun ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
We had NOTHING to eat and I was hungry. There was a small (2' wide) stream meandering through the meadow below us and I asked Bert if there were Brookies in the stream. He said there were, but we didn't have any fishing tackle. I grabbed my 7mm Rem Mag and picked out a likely looking hole above a shallow riffle (about 100yds away) and took a shot into the water just below a basketball sized rock. I climbed back on my horse and trotted down to the stream, bailed of my horse and tossed 4 8-10" brookies up on the bank. We made a small fire and had ourselves a couple of fresh fish.

I'd say I was a little overgunned, but I got 4 with one shot!

AJ
LL! You gave them brookies heart attacks ... WTG!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.