Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

overgunned???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: overgunned???

my thought wasn't that the caliber I had picked was too much or too little, but was thinking that maybe a long/heavy rifle was misapplied. I have a 30-30 in my safe for use, but always grab the 25-06 or 264 Win Mag because that's what I've always done.
The misapplication was the bullet chosen specifically for long distance shooting, the heavy 0.82" in diameter 26" long barrel, and the high magnification scope with EBX reticle for help on long shots.
In the stand the scope rarely leaves 3-5x and the gun is rested more than it is held; but with all this time to think I wondered if somehow I had misapplied it and maybe needed to grab one of the lever guns.

Thanks for your input, obviously I have way too much time to think even when I'm out of a stand. I'm sure other hunters can relate to how your mind can wander when you're trying to discern whether that footstep was a stinking fox squirrel or the largest darn deer you've ever seen.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: overgunned???

You know, when you are "overgunned" you sometimes kill those deer "too dead".......